Getting MIDI hardware recognized in Linux

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LavaDrop

Getting MIDI hardware recognized in Linux

Post by LavaDrop »

Hi!

I'm having issues with the Linux build.
The music driver options don't display ALSA as an option anymore and if I edit the config file to "force" it, the program states: "The selected audio device 'alsa' was not found (e.g. might be turned off or disconnected). Attempting to fall back to the next available device...
Also, the MIDI tab displays an greyed out GM Device Dropdown button with no selectable options.

According to scummvm -v the build was compiled with ALSA.
ALSA MIDI is working, I can play back midi files through my SC-55 connected through a Roland USB to MIDI adapter with aplaymidi and loop the output back using alsamixer.

I'm running Ubuntu Budgie 19.04 and the ScummVM binary is one published on the Snap store (ScummVM 2.1.0git0-gcd7e6cd-dirty (Feb 28 2019 07:26:40))

I just want to play GK1 with my real SC-55...

Thank you!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Getting MIDI hardware recognized in Linux

Post by Raziel »

Have you tried with a Buildbot build?
I don't know Linux, are the derivates that different from each other that one can't use an e.g. Debian build on Ubuntu?
LavaDrop

Post by LavaDrop »

Raziel wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:42 am Have you tried with a Buildbot build?
I don't know Linux, are the derivates that different from each other that one can't use an e.g. Debian build on Ubuntu?
That depends on how the libraries are linked or built. I just tried the buildbot build and it is lacking the libjpeg library.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Ok, so buildbot does not have all libraries compiled in, but what about your problem?

Libjpeg is not needed using your MIDI hw...have you tried getting it to work with that buildbot build?
If it works, then your other build is simply too old or lacks some hw support or gas a broken ALSA implementation...