Pink Panther (passport to...)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rapattack

Pink Panther (passport to...)

Post by rapattack »

Dear all,

I have the scumm-vm package and the pink panther package (engine).
How can I play the pink panther game? When I try to open the pink package from within scumm-vm I get a message saying "there are no game files inside".
Please help :-)

I have a copy of the Pink Panther passport to... as well. Also when I try to load this from within scummvm I get the same error message.

Thanks in advance and kind regards.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Pink Panther (passport to...)

Post by Raziel »

According to the wiki, the Pink (engine) is not in the release builds (yet).
You can try and get a bleeding edge build for your system and see if the engine has been enabled there...but i don't know if it alrteady has.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Ok thank you.
How can I know which game files I need to run the game in the vm?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Not sure, probably copy everything for now or maybe point the launcher to your CD?

Normally if you point the browser to the correct directory ScummVM will find the game.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Wait... Passport to Peril is going to be supported by ScummVM? That is awesome! :D
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

For hose who were not aware of it, this was a GSoC project last year.
See whiterandrek's blog for more details of how it went.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Aant idea of a release date :)?0
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

rapattack wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:39 am Aant idea of a release date :)?0
Well, you can play it in ScummVM now if you download a development build from the BuildBot (which I did). It is already classed as completable, so although there may be bugs, it should be possible to reach the end of the game. As it is, the only bug I have noticed (so far) is the fact that the file menus that you use to save at the top of the screen are corrupted looking, and I think this is due to a missing file called classicmacfonts.dat (possibly because I am using a PC). The menus are still readable and functional though.

In general with ScummVM, engines will be released in stable builds when they are ready, and as development is completely voluntary there are no deadlines or due dates.

Unless development is taking place outside the main ScummVM project, Pink engine progress seems to have been slow for may months now, so it could potentially be a while if you want to wait for a stable build version.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Where should i get a version from the bot then?
I already tried a ‘bleeding edge’ build as mentioned above, but that didn’t work out.
Or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for your reply.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

rapattack wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:38 amWhere should i get a version from the bot then?
The development builds on https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html should have all the engines enabled, including the one to play the Pink Panther games (make sure to take the latest development build for your platform and not the latest stable build).
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

I did download the latest development build.
To Which folder or file do i have to point scummvm? IT always says that there’s no game in that directory.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

It works now.
Thanks for the help.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I'd greatly prefer to play it in Scumm VM. I don't really remember what issue I had, but most likely - my dislike for fullscreen. And in Scumm VM everything can be played in a window.
Will the Polish version be supported as well? I think that's what I have: "Różowa Pantera w świat się wybiera".
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 am I'd greatly prefer to play it in Scumm VM. I don't really remember what issue I had, but most likely - my dislike for fullscreen. And in Scumm VM everything can be played in a window.
Will the Polish version be supported as well? I think that's what I have: "Różowa Pantera w świat się wybiera".
If you try to add it to your game list using the latest development build of SCUMMVM what happens? For me it recognised that I had an unknown version (the UK version) and told me how to report that unknown version. I reported it and it and support was added to development builds a couple of days later. If the developer of the engine doesn't own the Polish version and nobody reports it with the necessary information it can't be added.

Your report would be something like this (the bits in bold will be different for your version of course, what I have written identifies the UK version):
My copy of Pink Panther's Passport to Peril is unknown (the Polish retail version "Różowa Pantera w świat się wybiera").
Matched game IDs for the Pink Panther engine: peril-da
{"PPTP.ORB", 0, "1ee65e570adb37d446a3be657e4b2e9a", 619145676},
Saying that, I can't see traces of that game title online when I use google. I can see a game with a similar title called "Różowa Pantera Po Skarb Się Wybiera" which isn't either of the games ScummVM supports and I think is called "Pink Panther Pinkadelic Pursuit" in English. Are you sure your game is either "Pink Panther's Passport to Peril" or "Hokus Pokus Pink"?

EDIT: With closer research "Pink Panther's Passport to Peril" is called "Na Kłopoty Pantera" in Polish and "Hokus Pokus Pink" is called "Hokus pokus Różowa Pantera" so I you may have something else.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Graxer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 pm Saying that, I can't see traces of that game title online when I use google. I can see a game with a similar title called "Różowa Pantera Po Skarb Się Wybiera" which isn't either of the games ScummVM supports and I think is called "Pink Panther Pinkadelic Pursuit" in English. Are you sure your game is either "Pink Panther's Passport to Peril" or "Hokus Pokus Pink"?

EDIT: With closer research "Pink Panther's Passport to Peril" is called "Na Kłopoty Pantera" in Polish and "Hokus Pokus Pink" is called "Hokus pokus Różowa Pantera" so I you may have something else.
Very likely. I have very little idea about the series, I just know that I like the graphics very much and would like to try it. :)