ScummVM settings dont affect game

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vlahka

ScummVM settings dont affect game

Post by Vlahka »

I've been having issues with Kings Quest 5, birds sounding like thudthud type sounds. I tried to change the audio settings in the emulator and even after launching the program again to make sure the settings to any changes in audio and display stick, the game wont show any change at all. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM settings dont affect game

Post by sev »

Hi Vihanka,

It is not quite clear which setting did you try to change, what are your current settings, what is your operating system, and what is the emulator you are talking about.

Please clarify those, or better provide information as outlined in FAQ #5.10: https://www.scummvm.org/faq/#5_10

Eugene
Vlahka

Post by Vlahka »

Thanks for the reply. My system is Win10 64bit and the game is an english copy of Kings Quest 5 from GoG, the CD version. I believe the version of ScummVM that came with it was the latest ones. I even downloaded a new one just to make sure and installed it separately so as to see if I could figure it out without any complications with the GoG downloaded version.

My issues are 2 things. In the first screen where you can finally move, the birds dont sound like birds. They sound like low sounding midi thuds instead of tweets. I've seen a few others come across this problem but no solutions given. I wanted to change the sound options in the scummVM emulator, such as changing it to adlib sound or MT-32 or roland etc. Nothing would stick though. Neither would the display options I would choose in the emulator, HQ3 for example, no changes I made and applied would register in the game. It would load up as default every time. All the other games I've tried though from GoG I have had no problem changing the settings, only this one. I've ran it past them as well but I seem to be getting the stock standard help, update my sound drivers etcetc. If I could change the settings in the emulator and have it register with the game I'm sure I'd be able to sort out the problem. Its nothing to do with my sound drivers like they think.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vlahka wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:45 am My issues are 2 things. In the first screen where you can finally move, the birds dont sound like birds. They sound like low sounding midi thuds instead of tweets. I've seen a few others come across this problem but no solutions given.
Judging by the thread King's Quest V - bad sound in scummvm, it's either a bug or a missing feature in the SCI engines AdLib driver. Of course, that doesn't explain why your settings changes aren't saved. I have no idea about that, I'm afraid.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 pm Of course, that doesn't explain why your settings changes aren't saved. I have no idea about that, I'm afraid.
The only thing I can think of is if he is changing the global options, but specific options are set for the game that override the global ones.
Vlahka

Post by Vlahka »

criezy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:18 pm
eriktorbjorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 pm Of course, that doesn't explain why your settings changes aren't saved. I have no idea about that, I'm afraid.
The only thing I can think of is if he is changing the global options, but specific options are set for the game that override the global ones.
That certainly sounds about right. I ended up reinstalling scummvm on a different drive, copying the game contents into it and uninstalling the original. I can now change certain things but not too much. The still prefer the advx3 effect, although I can scale between them. The bird sounds have improved, but they have a bit of reverb to them and some come out horribly corrupted. Progress I guess.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I recently played KQ6 and only after finishing it, i realized that checking
"Prefer digital sound effects"
in the
"Engine"
setting of the game cured a lot of strange sounding in-game effects (like the swordfight sounds from the final scenes of KQ6).

I'm using MIDI hardware for any game that supports it, but the MIDI versions of certain effects just sound off (again, e.g. the swordfight sounds).

Maybe try that too? (albeit the bird sounds seem to be solely created by my MIDI hardware (checked KQ6 and LSL6)
Vlahka

Post by Vlahka »

Raziel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:07 pm I recently played KQ6 and only after finishing it, i realized that checking
"Prefer digital sound effects"
in the
"Engine"
setting of the game cured a lot of strange sounding in-game effects (like the swordfight sounds from the final scenes of KQ6).

I'm using MIDI hardware for any game that supports it, but the MIDI versions of certain effects just sound off (again, e.g. the swordfight sounds).

Maybe try that too? (albeit the bird sounds seem to be solely created by my MIDI hardware (checked KQ6 and LSL6)
I dont see this option anywhere in the scummvm program.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

This option would be in the game specific options that I mentioned before. In ScummVM game list select the game and then click on Edit Game (and not Options that is for the global options). In the game options there should be an Engine tab with that option. And while you are there you might want to check in the other tabs if it override global graphics and audio options.
Vlahka

Post by Vlahka »

criezy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 am This option would be in the game specific options that I mentioned before. In ScummVM game list select the game and then click on Edit Game (and not Options that is for the global options). In the game options there should be an Engine tab with that option. And while you are there you might want to check in the other tabs if it override global graphics and audio options.
Oh very interesting. I never noticed that before thanks. I've checked all the tabs and each one has global settings ticked and the digital box was already ticked as well. Seems my problem is still there. I really dont understand it at this point.I think its probably just one of those bugs that have it in for me.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Vlahka

Hmm, since you are on Windows 10...i remember a question popping up from time to time about the fact that scummvm's options/.ini file gets saved to a write-protected area inside the Windows installtion (User-something-something) after the first install.
I don't remember what the cure was, but could it be that ScummVM *tries* to save your settings but fails everytime because of said write protection?
You wrote you are always back to the default settings on retry/restart of ScummVM, is that correct?
That doesn't sound like a bug in the engine but the failure of ScummVM to save to it's .ini file...
Vlahka

Post by Vlahka »

Raziel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:58 pm @Vlahka

Hmm, since you are on Windows 10...i remember a question popping up from time to time about the fact that scummvm's options/.ini file gets saved to a write-protected area inside the Windows installtion (User-something-something) after the first install.
I don't remember what the cure was, but could it be that ScummVM *tries* to save your settings but fails everytime because of said write protection?
You wrote you are always back to the default settings on retry/restart of ScummVM, is that correct?
That doesn't sound like a bug in the engine but the failure of ScummVM to save to it's .ini file...
That was orignally the case. I downloaded and installed scummvm on a separate drive and moved the KQ5 folder into it, uninstalling the GOG one so it wouldnt trip up. Certain changes dont seem to do anything, like graphic changes. All they do is enlarge or shrink the box, no difference in the actual look itself. The sound I can change but it either gives me the corrupt sounding thing or no sound at all so somethings sticking.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Just a quick question...do you use the "normal" pc audio output (speakers) or is there hardware plugged between (MIDI etc.)?

Could you post the [scummvm] from your .ini file (maybe i can recreate the issue with your settings)

wrt to the graphics settings - Do you play in window or fullscreen?
Vlahka

Post by Vlahka »

Raziel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 pm Just a quick question...do you use the "normal" pc audio output (speakers) or is there hardware plugged between (MIDI etc.)?

Could you post the [scummvm] from your .ini file (maybe i can recreate the issue with your settings)

wrt to the graphics settings - Do you play in window or fullscreen?
I have a couple things plugged into my pc for audio out if thats what you mean. But I use headphones and have the onboard realtek sound settings to headphones. I'm not sure which ini file you mean for me to post. Theres one for KQ5 and another that says goglod or something, but looking at them it doesnt show anything that would be useful in mimicking my settings. And I play in window.

If you'e at all curious to the sound I'm getting, this is the current one..

https://youtu.be/OrUUTQ6LgSA

The birds reverb some then practically implode. I'm not sure what other sounds might be broken either. Changing all the sound settings only manages to get me 2 outcomes. This noise or no noise. The music and sounds in the intro and following scene seem to all be normal though. This is the only game I think I've had sound issues with. The rest I've played were fine. Although now I wonder if there were any missing sounds.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

i mean the "scummvm.ini" file, it should be exactly named like that on windows.

It should look like this inside:

Code: Select all

[scummvm]
filtering=true
mute=false
last_fullscreen_mode_width=640
extrapath=Games:ScummVM/extras/
multi_midi=false
gui_browser_show_hidden=true
soundfont=Games:ScummVM/extras/UHD3.sf2
music_driver=camd
local_server_port=12345