Change musics in Zak & Loom Fm Towns + midi Monkey Island 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Oxygene2

Change musics in Zak & Loom Fm Towns + midi Monkey Island 1

Post by Oxygene2 »

Hello everyone,

I have two questions about the music of some Lucasarts / Lucasfilm games.

First :
Is there any way to change the mp3 files of the FM Towns games (for example Zak McKracken or Loom) for either Amiga or Atari St sounds, or for the MIDI files corresponding ? I haven't figured out how to have sound without having the mp3. In other words, having VGA graphics with Amiga, Atari ST, or any music emulation using the midi files.
My problem here is that I'd like to be able to put these games on disks, and the mp3 files are really big. For example if ScummVm can work with the MIDI files, it would be possible to put the entire game and the music on disks.

Second :
I have an original French copy of Monkey Island 1 that is on a CD. It includes the CD release of the game, but doesn't include the mp3 files. That's actually really how it was released, it was supposed to be the CD graphics with the VGA sounds. The problem is that ScummVM doesn't seem to be able to run this version of the game, as it always asks for the mp3 files when launching the game, recognised as CD MI1. Here are the files on the CD :

ADLIB.IMS
MONKEY1.000
MONKEY1.001
MONKEY1.EXE
ROLAND.IMS
SOUNDBLAS.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS

Is there a way to make Scummvm run these sound files ?

Thank you,
Dark-Star

Re: Change musics in Zak & Loom Fm Towns + midi Monkey Island 1

Post by Dark-Star »

Oxygene2 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:10 pm Second :
I have an original French copy of Monkey Island 1 that is on a CD. It includes the CD release of the game, but doesn't include the mp3 files.
There were no MP3 files distributed with any Monkey Island game. You have to make them yourself from the audio tracks on the CD...
Oxygene2

Post by Oxygene2 »

My point here is that there are no audio files on the CD. But as you can see there are sound files in the files of Monkey Island 1, but it seems that ScummVM can't directly use them..
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

But as you can see there are sound files in the files of Monkey Island 1, but it seems that ScummVM can't directly use them..
Are you talking about those ".ims" files?
These ain't sound files, not even MIDI data.

iirc those are some kind of driver files for the iMuse system one could pick with the original exe to send the music to whatever chosen (AdLib, Roland, Soundblaster, PC Speaker).
These options have been incorporated into ScummVM's own launcher dialog and are as such not needed anymore.

See also the datafiles wiki.

The reason there are no extra sound/midi files on your CD is that they are merged into the data files (.000, .001) except the audio tracks on the CD.
Oxygene2

Post by Oxygene2 »

If this is true and sound files are merged into the data files, then ScummVM don't recognise them or can't use them. Is there a way to activate it ?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The way it should work is that you add the game to ScummVM's launcher, click on start and the intro should already have the beautiful carribean steel drum intro :-)

If it doesn't for you:
1) What platform are you on?
2) What platform is the game for? (Linux, Windows, Mac?)
3) What version of ScummVM you are using?
4) As what exactly does ScummVM add your Monkey Island in the launcher?
--> If it is unknown, can read out the md5sums for Monkey.000 and Monkey001?
5) Did you set the audio options in the launcher correctly, resp. do other games work/have sound/music output?

And last but not least and it may sound funny, did you check your volume on your speakers and/or do they work with other games/music/sound?
(Yes, i know, but believe me, it happens!) ;-)
Oxygene2

Post by Oxygene2 »

I've used Dosbox and I found some instructions on the CD saying that there are audio files, so I guess my problem is just that I wasn't able to extract them from the CD. Problem Solved. Thank you for trying to help me with this problem !

Nevertheless I still have no answer for my other questions, which are a little more complicated I know..
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Is there any way to change the mp3 files of the FM Towns games (for example Zak McKracken or Loom) for either Amiga or Atari St sounds, or for the MIDI files corresponding ? I haven't figured out how to have sound without having the mp3. In other words, having VGA graphics with Amiga, Atari ST, or any music emulation using the midi files.
My problem here is that I'd like to be able to put these games on disks, and the mp3 files are really big. For example if ScummVm can work with the MIDI files, it would be possible to put the entire game and the music on disks.
MIDI - short answer no, long answer see below
AtariST Sounds - not sure which format they have, but i'd say no too, but...see below
MP3 - yes, possibly

The problem you will face is that the mp3's (ripped from the music tracks) are called by the engine (as it was done with the original interpreter).
You "could" convert MIDI and AtatriST into mp3's but that doesn't mean, that if you simply switch them, that it will work, because of the engine taking care of loading the music.
with mp3's it's worth a try, e.g. switch the FMTowns mp3's with the DOS/Windows version (if you own them, then again i'm not sure this is was you are looking for when going for size)!?

iiuc you want to put the games on "floppy" disks?
1.4 MB max floppy disks?

I guess it "could" be possible, but not without changes to the code...though i'm not the right one to answer that.