Gargoyle

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

appoloin

Gargoyle

Post by appoloin »

I just noticed the Gargoyle checkins, have these changes made it into the nightly?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: Gargoyle

Post by digitall »

Not yet. Once the relevant PR is merged, this will be in the next nightly build:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/1393
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Also, to avoid confusion the new engine has been renamed to "ScummGLK", though the folder and engine prefix in commits will simply be "GLK"
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Also also, the only "complete" sub-engine completed so far within it is for the Scott Adams games. A Frotz sub-engine for Zcode/Infocom games is currently a work in progress.. I mostly still need to finish savegame handling, as well as graphic handling for the later games.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Quick question about the change in dists/scummvm.rc

"dists/engine-data/fonts.dat"

Every extras data has it's corresponding name, so that users (or anyone interested) know which engine uses that.
Simply calling it font.dat would seem a little off, wouldn't it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

It's been ages since i played text adventures...can't wait to delve into it again
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:51 pm Every extras data has it's corresponding name, so that users (or anyone interested) know which engine uses that.
Simply calling it font.dat would seem a little off, wouldn't it?
I originally had it as gargoyle.dat, but had a request in the first pull request to change it to something more generic:
Considering that gargoyle.dat is simply packaging several other files, it might be better to use a .zip archive instead of creating a new container format. A couple of other engines (namely Wintermute and MacVenture) already use zip files for this purpose.

In addition, it might be a good idea to rename it to "fonts.dat" or something similarly generic, so it can be used by other engines (Z-Vision, for example).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

In addition, it might be a good idea to rename it to "fonts.dat" or something similarly generic, so it can be used by other engines (Z-Vision, for example).
Heh, i haven't thought of that.
Instead of scattering many files, use one font.dat for more than one engine...great idea :-)
appoloin

Post by appoloin »

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
>
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

appoloin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:05 pmWest of House
As the previous post is hinting at, the ScummGlk engine has, as of last weekend, been merged into master, and is now available in daily builds. :D At the moment, it has two sub-engines, Scott and Frotz, for Scott Adams and Infocom/ZCode games respectively. The latter supports all versions except V6 at the moment. I plan to make a proper blog posting announcing it shortly, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

What an amazing news!

I`ve tested and merged some frotz games and I`d like to comment and make some questions.

In games like lurking horror or sherlock: are the music files detected out of the box? I tested lurking horror and the first sounds at the very beginning worked, but only for three seconds and then stop. Maybe I am wrong but I remember those sounds should play in a loop until the end of the dream/vision.

The fonts do not look very crispy compared to the frotz or gargoyle engine standalone. Does it have to do with the lack of external fonts or something like that? Or is it normal?

Aspect correction on/off does not work.

In beyond zork the mouse does not work and the frame does not render correctly. So I imagined that the game was v6 frotz but I do not remember.

Probably much work is left And I am beyng overzealous, I really sorry, but I am very excited about this :D .

Great work!
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Gudadantza wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:56 am What an amazing news!

I`ve tested and merged some frotz games and I`d like to comment and make some questions.

In games like lurking horror or sherlock: are the music files detected out of the box? I tested lurking horror and the first sounds at the very beginning worked, but only for three seconds and then stop. Maybe I am wrong but I remember those sounds should play in a loop until the end of the dream/vision.
They should, though I haven't tested those games yet. You were right about sound not looping properly. I'll look into properly fixing it.
Gudadantza wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:56 am The fonts do not look very crispy compared to the frotz or gargoyle engine standalone. Does it have to do with the lack of external fonts or something like that? Or is it normal?
That's weird. I chose the same fonts as Gargoyle, since this code is based on it. Maybe it has to do with the default font size being different or something.
Gudadantza wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:56 am Aspect correction on/off does not work.
Don't know about aspect correction.. that's a core ScummVM functionality below the engine level.
Gudadantza wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:56 am In beyond zork the mouse does not work and the frame does not render correctly. So I imagined that the game was v6 frotz but I do not remember.
Yep.. version 6 (the later graphical games) is still a TODO, since the original Gargoyle source didn't support them either.
Gudadantza wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:56 am Probably much work is left And I am beyng overzealous, I really sorry, but I am very excited about this :D .

Great work!
Thanks :) It's good to see enthusiastic testers already, and your point about the sound was well made.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@dreammaster

Great work, can't wait to test them myself.

It seems as if the GLK engine isn't enabled by default in the current branch?
At least building scummvm locally GLK remains disabled...does that mean it's not ripe for testing (yet)?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:11 am @dreammaster

Great work, can't wait to test them myself.

It seems as if the GLK engine isn't enabled by default in the current branch?
At least building scummvm locally GLK remains disabled...does that mean it's not ripe for testing (yet)?
Thanks. :) As I mentioned in my blog posting, the two initial sub-engines of Scott and Frotz should be working fine, with the exception of any minor miscellaneous bugs identified, like sounds not repeating correctly. The only thing really missing from Frotz is support for the V6 graphical games, and I'd like to see that properly supported so the engine is feature complete before I announce official testing. Plus, with my Christmas holidays coming up in another week's time, it would be a bad time for an official testing period anyway. Of course, with entries set up in the bug tracker, there's no reason why you couldn't unofficially start testing some non-V6 Frotz or Scott games, and report any bugs you find. And I'll get to any found when I can.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

I think that I have found an obscure bug in trinity under scummvm.

Fom time to time the game uses a series of famous literary phrases in boxes when the user examines something. Under DOSBOX or Frotz, those boxes are not very good implemented and overlap the upper lines of text and every box overlaps the previous box as well.

Testing it in scummvm I was surprised that it was a more elegant and clean way of showing it, cleaning the old text and presenting it in the upper zone of the window, but the problem is that once the box is erased, the upper interface bar, the room name one, dissapears as well during the rest of the gameplay.

I do not know if I am being clear enough, but It does not harm advise about it. other infocom games do use those boxes and maybe the problem is more common.

greetings!