Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
BarkAtKit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Post by BarkAtKit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:06 am

The game I'm using Scumm for, Riven, uses the spacebar to skip cutscenes (or at least I assume so because Myst does; I could be wrong). But Scumm overrides this into something like the opposite, a pause button. How can I change this?

ADDENDUM: I'm using Windows 10, and I have give more specs if needed.

Praetorian
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 am

Re: Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Post by Praetorian » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 am

BarkAtKit wrote:The game I'm using Scumm for, Riven, uses the spacebar to skip cutscenes (or at least I assume so because Myst does; I could be wrong). But Scumm overrides this into something like the opposite, a pause button. How can I change this?

ADDENDUM: I'm using Windows 10, and I have give more specs if needed.
I think the ESC key works for skipping cutscenes in Riven (at least when running through ScummVM).

And to answer the original question, I don't think you can disable PAUSE-with-spacebar.

User avatar
criezy
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am
Location: West Sussex, UK

Post by criezy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:05 pm

I just checked the user manual I have for Riven and it indeed says to use the space bar:
Riven User Manual wrote:To jump to the end of a movie, press the spacebar. But as with Zip Mode, be careful not to skip through an important movie.
So maybe this should be reported as a bug on https://bugs.scummvm.org/

BarkAtKit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Re: Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Post by BarkAtKit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Praetorian wrote:I think the ESC key works for skipping cutscenes in Riven (at least when running through ScummVM).
Thanks! I will try ESC when I get the chance.
And to answer the original question, I don't think you can disable PAUSE-with-spacebar.
It's surprising if that's the case, because I couldn't find anyone else raising the issue here. Don't a lot of games in general use spacebar? E.g, for jumping? Odd.

Praetorian
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 am

Re: Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Post by Praetorian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:10 am

BarkAtKit wrote: It's surprising if that's the case, because I couldn't find anyone else raising the issue here. Don't a lot of games in general use spacebar? E.g, for jumping? Odd.
I don't think it's that common with the classic point and click adventure games. Not any that I can think of.

Although, what I should have said was that I had a quick look at the source code for Riven in the Mohawk engine on ScummVM's Github Repository and it looks like (currently) the spacebar is hardcoded to be used as pause.
criezy wrote:I just checked the user manual I have for Riven and it indeed says to use the space bar:
Riven User Manual wrote:To jump to the end of a movie, press the spacebar. But as with Zip Mode, be careful not to skip through an important movie.
You're right! I thought I didn't see the spacebar mentioned when I quickly checked the manual (offered with the GOG version of Riven), but it's indeed there on page 12.

Post Reply