Is The Serrated Scalpel for 3DO Supported on ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philthethrill

Is The Serrated Scalpel for 3DO Supported on ScummVM?

Post by philthethrill » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:56 am

I found a copy of The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes The Serrated Scalpel for the 3DO on Amazon for $16.95 plus $4.95 for shipping. I’m tempted to get it. Will it work on ScummVM? Here’s the link to purchase it if anyone is interested. https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Files-Sherl ... fkmrnull_1

If anyone here snatches it before I do, I hope he or she enjoys it. I don’t mind being on the lookout for another good deal like this one.

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 am

Our compatibility page indicates that only the DOS version is supported. And the source code seems to agree with that as the 3DO version is detected but flagged as unstable. But I don’t know how much of it works, if anything, since I am not familiar with that engine.

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 pm

I remember it used to run somewhat (I think actor positions were off, and I never played it more than a little bit past the intro), but it seems to have regressed since then. Now transparency is broken - things are drawn with a black background - and it crashes with a failed assertion as soon as I try to talk to Watson. I'm pretty sure it used to play the animation of him talking.

CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:51 am

I remember it working surprisingly well around version 1.8, though I didn't play too far into it. There were no crashing or obvious graphical glitches.

philthethrill

Post by philthethrill » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:23 am

That's good to know. Do you know what data files I'll need for it to run?

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:44 pm

philthethrill wrote:That's good to know. Do you know what data files I'll need for it to run?
As I said, I never gave it that much of a try. But after I had extracted the files from the CD, I just pointed ScummVM to the "HolmesData" folder.

I think the main problem with getting the 3DO version to work with the current version of ScummVM right now is that the DOS version uses 8-bit graphics while the 3DO version uses 16-bit graphics. (Now, I don't think the 3DO graphics were redrawn to take advantage of that, but the filmed sequences of characters talking probably needs it.)

At some point - probably as part of some cleanup - parts of the engine lost support for 16-bit graphics. But I could be wrong about that.

dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 pm

eriktorbjorn wrote:At some point - probably as part of some cleanup - parts of the engine lost support for 16-bit graphics. But I could be wrong about that.
That's my recollection as well.. it happened when I switched several of the engines I'd worked on from using their own custom extended surface implementations to using the Graphics::ManagedSurface and Graphics::Screen classes. Since the 3DO wasn't officially supported at that time, and the DOS version still worked fine, I put fixing the resulting transparency issues on the backburner.