Monkey Island (EGA) and CMS sound: Bug or "feature"

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vanfanel

Monkey Island (EGA) and CMS sound: Bug or "feature"

Post by vanfanel »

Hi guys,

I have noticed that Monkey Island (EGA) has a strange behaviour regarding CMS sound/music: it sounds great, but after entering the kitchen on the Scumm Bar, where I can hear the food bubbling, music is gone on the bar.
Then I can enter the church, and music is there again, but if I exit the church and enter again, music is gone once more...

Back in the day, I played the EGA version on a PC without CMS, so I don't know if that's something on the script side of things or an engine problem, so I haven't opened an issue until I am sure it's meant to be reported.
Since Monkey Island is a fundamental ScummVM game, I though I should ask.

Thanks!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

If you can reproduce this with DOSbox, it is probably a script bug. If not, it would be a ScummVM bug.
You should file a report anyway, as ScummVM already has some script overrides in order to fix bugs like this.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

@LogicDeLuxe: Great reasoning. Well, Dosbox plays it perfectly well, same datafiles.
So it's an Scummvm bug after all. I'll have to open an issue then: CMS audio is great!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

CMS emulation always was buggy as nobody implemented it properly yet due to lack of interest from the developers.

Eugene
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

sev wrote:CMS emulation always was buggy as nobody implemented it properly yet due to lack of interest from the developers.

Eugene
What a pity, because it sounds great. EGA+CMS makes a very interesting combination.