ScummVM Front End by Shed

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Shed

ScummVM Front End by Shed

Post by Shed »

-- deleted --
Last edited by Shed on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krum

Hey

Post by krum »

Could you give me an example of your command line?

I am interested in making a front end as well and my command line will not work.

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Desktop\Lucasarts Games\ScummVM\scummvm.exe -p"C:\Loompath here\" loom
it will run scummVM and even do full screen but then wont load the game.

I am building this frontend with visual basics 6

thank you for your time.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I still have to wonder: Where's the point? What can your frontends do that the built-in GUI can't do?
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

Nice work man
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

fingolfin wrote:I still have to wonder: Where's the point? What can your frontends do that the built-in GUI can't do?
I bet someone could make a really spiffy frontend for ScummVM, cause the gui on the current ScummVM is kinda fugly(no offense). So if someone could make a really slick frontent I would prefer that over the current gui.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

citizeneman wrote:
fingolfin wrote:I still have to wonder: Where's the point? What can your frontends do that the built-in GUI can't do?
I bet someone could make a really spiffy frontend for ScummVM, cause the gui on the current ScummVM is kinda fugly(no offense). So if someone could make a really slick frontent I would prefer that over the current gui.
Are you talking about 0.8.x GUI or current SVN GUI? Try a daily SVN snapshot.

Eugene
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

Yes the SVN gui is very nice, but I still wouldnt mind a trying some slick frontends if somebody makes them.
krum

my front end

Post by krum »

my front end will work with any old pc game and your program of choice, which includes dosbox, scummvm, and VMDS.

I want to be able to make is so that I can put all the old games 'I own' cause I do actually own alot of em :-P on a dvd (for personal convenience and use)

I can't get the command line to work with scummvm though and thats why I come here.
Shed

Post by Shed »

Last edited by Shed on Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed

Post by Shed »

-- deleted --
Last edited by Shed on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed

Post by Shed »

citizeneman catch my feeling around this subject...thanks

but people don't be confused...my front end is only a "cover" that allow change directly the smooth filters and scalers and at same time, run the know games in a single pair of mouse clicks...

of course, is totally possible don't need my front end at all...and use only the Scummvm control panel for the stuff

and yes Eugene, this weird (i know) front end is designed prior the 0.9.x version....when the old black and lime control panel...now the 0.9.x GUI are much better (and pretty) but a bit "big" if you're under 1024x768 resolution...

and other thing as totally in other way of thinking...is that i tested the ScummVM for PocketPC with and Arm 200 processor / windows mobile 2003 and stored on SD-Ram card and works fine...all know games i can try, such indy atlantis, monkey 1 and 2 etc...
ascummyguy

Post by ascummyguy »

The SVN build's UI may be a large improvement over the old green, but there's still room for improvement. The aesthetic portion is much better at any rate. Functionality could certainly be improved though. The UI setup is bulky - and certain common options could certainly be made to be more easily accessed. It has always seemed a small thing to complain about compared to compatability, but if somebody's going to write a Front End for it, why not? Just because something works doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I have to agree, here. The only thing more that I could want would be the automatic generation of shortcuts ala ScummVM Q+E. I don't know how this would affect portability, though.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

ascummyguy wrote:
The SVN build's UI may be a large improvement over the old green, but there's still room for improvement. The aesthetic portion is much better at any rate. Functionality could certainly be improved though. The UI setup is bulky - and certain common options could certainly be made to be more easily accessed. It has always seemed a small thing to complain about compared to compatability, but if somebody's going to write a Front End for it, why not? Just because something works doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.
Aesthetics are of course highly subjective. That's why our GUI is skinable (see http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GUI_Themes)... so I still have to wonder, why not make a skin/theme instead?

And if people have usability problems, then I again have to wonder: Why don't you tell us about them, maybe even ask for specific improvements? Rather than hacking together a front end which only offers a small subset of the capabilities of the proper GUI, and which is likely to be broken by future releases...

On the one hand, if you don't talk to us about your concerns with our GUI, we have no way to know about your grieves, and will never be able to address them. On the other hand, if people told the team, everybody could potentially benefit from any improvements we might make in response. In particular, many more people than just those few who are aware of specific front ends like this.

So, I still maintain my original question 8)
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

I'm inclined to agree with Fingolfin. For a frontend to be useful it really should offer something that the inbuilt gui doesn't. I made my frontend when ScummVM didn't have a GUI and kept it updated for 2+ years. Eventually though, the point came where the inbuilt ScummVM GUI was good enough - there was no point maintaining a separate frontend anymore. Its now hard to see what a new frontend could offer, over and above the features present in the inbuilt GUI.

Keeping a ScummVM frontend up to date can be a real pain. New/modified command line parameters, new/renamed game targets and daily build changes will all make a frontend outdated. If you genuinely feel that the ScummVM GUI is in need of improvement then you would be far better off communicating your wants/concerns to the ScummVM team, rather than making a whole new frontend. You'd be helping all ScummVM users and apart from anything else, it'd take much less of your time :)