Is it OK to merge non-adventure engines to ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

necros

Is it OK to merge non-adventure engines to ScummVM?

Post by necros »

I mean is it OK to encourage non-adventure engine reimplementation creators to contribute to ScummVM, considering Xeen engine appeared in project. Like Commander Keen for example?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Two years ago we decided to extend the scope of ScummVM to include RPG games. You can see the announcement on our mailing list and this is reflected for example in our FAQ. As such Xeen is now within the scope of the project. I don't know Commander Keen, but for a quick Google search this seems to be a platformer, which would still be outside the scope of ScummVM.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

You don't know Commander Keen? Really? It's one of id's original game series published and distributed by Apogee.

But yeah, out of scope for sure.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I'll chime in here with a similar question: How about "Visual Novel" style games? They are very similar to at least one game that's already in ScummVM (plumbers), so they might actually be in-scope, right?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Dark-Star wrote:I'll chime in here with a similar question: How about "Visual Novel" style games? They are very similar to at least one game that's already in ScummVM (plumbers), so they might actually be in-scope, right?
Well, Plumbers was included more because it was such a small engine that it could be used as an example for engine writers. My own personal opinion would be that it would be okay, but only if the new engine was a) small & compact, and b) ideally supported multiple different visual novels. Any specific example should be discussed beforehand though, just to insure acceptability before any large amount of time was spent on it.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Visual Novel are not rejected per se, but currently the only visual novels proposed were (at the very least) erotic, so they were vetoed. Do you have a title in mind?
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Strangerke wrote:Visual Novel are not rejected per se, but currently the only visual novels proposed were (at the very least) erotic, so they were vetoed. Do you have a title in mind?
Well, to be honest I have nothing particular in mind (yet). It's just that I have been thinking on what type of game engine I could try my hands on, if any, and the vast field of VN-like games came to my mind. There are enough of those that are not 18+, but I didn't know that ScummVM had a "no erotic content" policy, because the Larry games for example are also supported. It would technically still be possible to add only non-adult games to the detection tables though, so I don't see an issue with adding such an engine...
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

Dark-Star wrote:There are enough of those that are not 18+, but I didn't know that ScummVM had a "no erotic content" policy, because the Larry games for example are also supported.
Leisure Suit Larry is a comedy, so it really doesn't count.

But otherwise, I didn't know about such policy either, and it's really a double standard, as games like Coktel Vision's Fascination and Geisha are supported.
LouEatingSalami

Post by LouEatingSalami »

Strangerke wrote:Visual Novel are not rejected per se, but currently the only visual novels proposed were (at the very least) erotic, so they were vetoed. Do you have a title in mind?
What kind of discrimination is that? It's not like ScummVM is shipping with any of those titles. :lol: