The case against aspect correction of Monkey Island

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

Post by almeath » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:11 pm

It is definitely odd. It means there is probably no definitive answer to the aspect ratio question. Some scenes will look wrong in either mode, and often with inconsistencies within the same game.

Personally, I think there are more instances of aspect ratio correction looking 'wrong' in these games, but ultimately it will be a subjective issue.

MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 pm

At the time the game came out, people did not pay attention to that.
Anyone with the opportunity to play Monkey Island was very lucky and I do not think he noticed the exact proportion of the clock or anything else in the background.

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Most important reason for me to use aspect ratio correction is the way persons look. And almost every one of them look unhealthy fat without it.

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:54 pm

100% agree with LogicDeLuxe.

almeath

Post by almeath » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Most important reason for me to use aspect ratio correction is the way persons look. And almost every one of them look unhealthy fat without it.
As my earlier screenshot shows, the Mac (and FM Towns?) versions displayed the uncorrected aspect ratio with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

So I grew up thinking that a fat Guybrush is normal. :wink:

The_cranky_hermit

Post by The_cranky_hermit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 pm

The "developer's intent" isn't always 4:3, even if ideally it should be. For instance,

Without AR correction:

With AR correction:

So really, I think you do need to look at it on a case by case basis. And I've seen DOS games where some graphic elements look better corrected and others look better uncorrected, likely meaning that different artists worked on those things and some corrected for the 4:3 aspect ratio but others didn't.