Whatever happened to the in-progress AGS engine?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I also do not see a reason for any arguments.

E.g. I stepped in to clarify my description, not to paint things black or something.

It is a big pity to hear that pre-2.5 sources are lost. Maybe CJ would be able to provide his whole VSS dump? I have some experience with restoring old source control repositories, so I could help with converting it to git.

As I understand, at this moment, there is no ScummVM dev who expressed their interest in working on the engine. I would work on it by myself, but at this moment I have too much in my hands and too little time. Still, I think I could give a helping hand to whoever wants to work on it, or perhaps even put it as part of GSoC and mentor the task.

So, I propose to restart the thread, probably literally, from the very beginning and start assembling useful links like repos, working on backporting those fixes, and sketch the plan and current state of affairs.

Eugene
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Happy :-)
morganw

Post by morganw »

Hi,

I'm interested in trying to complete the existing port. I imagine I'll be a bit slow to get going as I'm not familiar with ScummVM code or the finer points of AGS, and am a bit of a rookie with C++, but I'd like to give it a go.
If you could point me in the direction of the appropriate developer documentation I'll try to make a start. I'm guessing that everything which is available would be linked from here?

Thanks,
Morgan
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

morganw: Yes... and see these:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engin ... en_Engines

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/AGS

https://github.com/fuzzie/scummvm/tree/ags

Note that "This branch is 355 commits ahead, 21726 commits behind scummvm:master." so quite a bit of work is required to first bring the AGS engine code as-is up to date with changes in the ScummVM common and OSystem API i.e. to rebase this onto the latest master and correct build issues... reviewing the changes made in the meantime.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

morganw wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in trying to complete the existing port. I imagine I'll be a bit slow to get going as I'm not familiar with ScummVM code or the finer points of AGS, and am a bit of a rookie with C++, but I'd like to give it a go.
If you could point me in the direction of the appropriate developer documentation I'll try to make a start. I'm guessing that everything which is available would be linked from here?

Thanks,
Morgan
/me definitely watching this space

Good luck, Morgan
ikmspb

Post by ikmspb »

sev wrote: So, I propose to restart the thread, probably literally, from the very beginning and start assembling useful links like repos, working on backporting those fixes, and sketch the plan and current state of affairs.
If a new thread is due, where would be the best place to open it at your forums? Sorry, I am a bit unfamiliar with your website.

Since morganw already decided to go ahead and try something, we created a fork of fuzzie's work in our github organization account, with morganw having all working perms.

I have some worries regarding your conventions, my two questions are:
1. What should the engine branch be (re)based on - current master or tag corresponding to the last stable version?
2. Do you require perfectly clean rebase or allow continious merging with master branch? I ask because in the past fuzzie has merged master with "ags" branch at least once (it's the last commit in her repository.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

ikmspb: To answer your questions, IMHO:
1. Branch based on the latest master and...
2. Don't do continual merging with master branch as it makes the history and merging the final engine / squashing / rebasing a nightmare during review.

I would suggest that you just rebase the existing engine code onto the latest master, deal with fixing commits to ensure that all commits in the engine code build (You can use a git script for git-bisect to check this) due to changes in the master common and other APIs.

I would refrain from doing merges, but leave the engine at the common branch point from master until you are further on and/or do a rebase onto the latest master code periodically repeating the original update.
morganw

Post by morganw »

Hello again,

Where would be the best place to ask ScummVM technical questions? I couldn't see an obvious place on the forum and wanted to ask about casting audio streams.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

probably IRC (#scummvm on freenode)
or
the mailing list scummvm-devel
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Whatever happened to the in-progress AGS engine?

Post by Raziel »

Probably died again...too bad :-(
GateKeeper

Re: Whatever happened to the in-progress AGS engine?

Post by GateKeeper »

Indeed it's a bummer, if that has been dropped.

I just played a bunch of AGS games, and at least one of them had unexpected performance issues with Windows 10. Playing it on an older computer with less CPU power and Windows 7 was surprisingly smoother, but it would have been so much simpler to just load ScummVM and not worry about things like that.