To: You. From: Release team. Subject: ScummVM 2.0.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

criezy
ScummVM Developer

To: You. From: Release team. Subject: ScummVM 2.0.

Post by criezy »

Just in time for the holidays, the final release of ScummVM 2.0 is here! This version adds support for 23 brand new old games, including almost all of the 32-bit Sierra adventures:
  • Cranston Manor
  • Full Pipe
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Gabriel Knight 2
  • King's Quest VII
  • King's Questions
  • Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
  • Leisure Suit Larry 7
  • Lighthouse
  • Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Phantasmagoria 2
  • Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
  • Police Quest 4
  • RAMA
  • Riven: The Sequel to Myst
  • Shivers
  • Space Quest 6
  • Starship Titanic
  • The Dark Crystal
  • Time Zone
  • Torin's Passage
  • Ulysses and the Golden Fleece
There’s more than just new engines, too! Many existing games have been improved, a lot of work has been done to improve the overall audio and video systems, and some players will also enjoy improved joystick support and various small enhancements suggested by other users. A more complete list of changes in this release can be found in the ScummVM 2.0 release notes.

And now, a big round of thanks and congratulations to everyone who made this release happen.

Our super cool code contributors, who wrote all the things which went into this release: Aaryaman Vasishta, Alexander (Tkachov), Alexander Reim, Alexandre Detiste, Alyssa Milburn, angstsmurf, Bastien Bouclet, Ben Castricum, Bendegúz Nagy, Cameron Cawley, Colin Snover, cpasjuste, D G Turner, Daniel Plakhotich, Dario Scarpa, David Fioramonti, Donovan Watteau, Einar Johan Trøan Sømåen, Eugene Sandulenko, Fedor (fedor4ever), Ferdinand Thiessen, Filippos Karapetis, Frank Richter, Hein-Pieter van Braam, Hubert Maier, iskrich, Ivan Avdeev, Joseph-Eugene Winzer, Kirben, kmar, Lothar Serra Mari, Lyubomyr Lisen, Marcus Comstedt, Martin Kiewitz, Michael Drüing, Nick Renieris, Omer Mor, Ori Avtalion, ottogin, Pala, Patrik Dahlstrom, Paul Gilbert, Peter Kohaut, Retro-Junk, Robert Crossfield, Robert Göffringmann, rsn8887, Ruud Klaver, Ryper_Zsolt, Schrijvers Luc, Simei Yin, stevenhoefel, Strangerke, Sven Hesse, Sven Kochmann, Tarek Soliman, Thierry Crozat, Thomas Fach-Pedersen, Tobia Tesan, Torbjörn Andersson, upthorn, vanfanel, VelocityRa, Vincent Bénony, Vincent Pelletier, Walter van Niftrik, Willem Jan Palenstijn, and Zbyněk Schwarz!

Our extra awesome community members and testers, who kindly banged on ScummVM and reported issues which were fixed during this cycle: ADeadTrousers, albadross, AlessioR, Alien-Grey, AndyILC, Arjak89, badungu, Bakhtosh, Bastien Bouclet, Ben Castricum, Benjamin Hodgetts, Bill Niakas, bramvandijk, carquinyoli, Colin Snover, counting_pine, ctoroman, cyberskull, d3p4z, dafioram, Daniel Wolf, danieljaeger, David Dew, david_corrales, dch216, dego93, Derek Warren, dominus, DustyShinigami, elaseela, Eliot Lash, enclume, EricOakford, esziarko, exmensa, Farmboy0, Filippos Karapetis, forge017, g5ppc, garethbp, gatesbillou, GeekZolda, George Kormendi, GermanTribun, greencis, Gualtiero, Hein-Pieter van Braam, henke37_2, hkzlab, Hubert Maier, Ignaz Forster, ilya13, Indy4-Fan, IntEmu, Ivan Lukyanov, Jan Sperling, Jarosław Jaworski, JCaesar13, jcmanciot, joachimeberhard, jomalin1, kervala, Kurufinwe21, Laylia27, legluondunet, legoking831, Lothar Serra Mari, Lyubomyr Lisen, macca8, maplesyrup, Markus Mahlstedt, Matan Bareket, Max Tabachenko, mcknallski, mthreepwood, MusicallyInspired, oddfff, Omer Mor, Ori Avtalion, Paul Gilbert, pegasusepsilon, PetrCejpek, Petter Sjölund, pliesenfeld, Quietust, r-alf-the-alf, Robert Megone, rsn8887, SeanW1975, Sergey, sluicebox, softwarespecial, Stefan Seeland, Stephane Lapie, Sven Hesse, Tarek Soliman, telanus, tgfmfc, Thierry Crozat, tobiatesan, Tomasz Grzegurzko, Torbjörn Andersson, Uukrull, vonmagnum, vorph999, Walter van Niftrik, Willem Jan Palenstijn, Windle Poons, zaurak, and zorbid.

Our exceedingly fantastic translators, who have helped bring ScummVM 2.0 to the users of 24 different Earth languages: Alex Jakovleff, Alexandre Folle de Menezes, Arius, Ben Castricum, Carlos, edward, Einar Johan Trøan Sømåen, Erik Zubiria, Ettore Atalan, Eugene Sandulenko, Fernando Sarmento, Filippos Karapetis, George Kormendi, Gilles, Hampus Flink, Ivan Lukyanov, JanShing, Jennifer McMurray, jepael, jeroen klop, John Doe, Jordi Vilalta Prat, Jose Roses, Joseph-Eugene Winzer, lorz, Lothar Serra Mari, Luis, Lyubomyr Lisen, Manuel, Martin Schoenmakers, Max von Werner, Michael D., Milo Casagrande, mézes gergely, pablobecerra, Paolo Bossi, Pavel Kungurtsev, Pere Orga, Peter Johansson, Petter Sjölund, poulsen93, Purple T, rafaelmessias, Rafał Będźkowski, Rafał Rzepecki, Rodrigo Vegas Sánchez-Ferrero, Rossano, Rouven Bauer, Santiago G. Sanz, Santiago Sanchez, selmiak, Sergio Carmona, Simon Sawatzki, Steffen Nyeland, Thierry Crozat, Timo Mikkolainen, Timofonic, Tobia Tesan, TomasM, Vitor Santos, Víctor Martínez Pajares, Walter Agazzi, wreednumero2, and Zbyněk Schwarz.

Our extremely good looking porters and packagers, for turning ScummVM into something you can actually run: Bastien Bouclet, Cameron Cawley, Colin Snover, Joost Peters, Keith Scroggins, Luc Schrijvers, Manuel Alfayate, Marcus Comstedt, Tarek Soliman, Thierry Crozat, and Willem Jan Palenstijn.

Our very wonderful technology sponsors, easyname, who provide us with servers and bandwidth so we can actually manage and send these releases to you.

And, finally, thank you to you, exceptional user, for using ScummVM, and (with deep apologies) to everyone else whose names I could not dig out of a database. Your support means a lot. You rock!

(And remember—shameless plug—if you want to see your name here, all it takes is one contribution to improve ScummVM!)

With no further ado, download ScummVM 2.0, our gift from us to you this holiday season.

Release team, signing off until next time!
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

Very, very nice. Glad to see the final polish on Riven. Will we be getting a PSP build?

edit: I found the PSP build by going to "daily builds" and choosing "latest stable build" under PSP; there just isn't a PSP release on the main download page.
Caltaron

Port to Raspberry Pi

Post by Caltaron »

Very nice - and thank you very much! You earned yourself more than a merry Christmas this year. Since I am curious: any chance that we will see a port to Raspberry Pi in the near future?

edit: Oh, I see: we do! As in: right now. Brilliant and a thousand thanks!
Last edited by Caltaron on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

Great update!

Changing the screenshot format from bmp to png makes life much easier. But in the future versions, would it possible to either tell ScummVM how to name the screenshots, or at least have them automatically named after the engine that is being used?

Now all screenshots are named scummvm+running number, which makes it very confusing to know which screenshots belong to which game, unless you manually rearrange screenshot folder or rename files.
snover
ScummVM Developer

Post by snover »

GateKeeper wrote:Changing the screenshot format from bmp to png makes life much easier. But in the future versions, would it possible to either tell ScummVM how to name the screenshots, or at least have them automatically named after the engine that is being used?
Please open an feature enhancement request on the bug tracker. Thanks!
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Nice to see this new ScummVM release. I would like to thank Dreammaster for fixing the bugs from the TsAge game Return to Ringworld so quickly.
2Mourty

Congrats!!

Post by 2Mourty »

Congrats to the developers! This release is awesome and covers almost any game I could want to play from the sierra catalogue. Official support for Gabriel Knight!!! :D

Now we just need to get support for Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness. I love that game beyond all reason. I would offer to help, but I'm a professional choir director not a coder.

Again congrats for the awesome release!!
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I want to particularly thank whoever fixed the score bug that was in the original interpreter of PQ3. We can finally actually get a full score!
diduz

Post by diduz »

This is a MASSIVE release, thanks to all coders involved! :D

May I ask why there's no Windows zip file version of the release?
snover
ScummVM Developer

Post by snover »

diduz wrote:May I ask why there's no Windows zip file version of the release?
The installer no longer requires administrative privileges (it will install to AppData if the UAC prompt is cancelled), so it’s not necessary to offer a separate download for users without admin access any more. Also, you may use innoextract to extract data from the installer as if it were a zip file, if you really don’t want to install it for some reason, which was not an option in the past. Finally, I am working on automating our release process and used this new process for generating the package. It is simpler and faster for us to generate a single package for a platform than to need to generate and store multiple packages, so there is a benefit to our processes to eliminate the extra packaging step. Hopefully that all makes sense, and apologies for any confusion. This was a last-minute change, so was not able to be communicated properly in the final release notes because the release notes are generated before ports are created. Better communication is something that is on my mind, and something I hope we will be able to improve in future.
diduz

Post by diduz »

snover wrote:This was a last-minute change, so was not able to be communicated properly in the final release
Oh, don't worry. Thanks for the answer (btw, the innoextract works perfectly). :wink:
Is there a way to force ScummVM to save the screenshots in a specific directory? I remember that v.1.9.0 (Windows zip file version) put them in ScummVM directory itself. V. 2.0 always puts them in my Pictures directory (setup or extracted version), no matter which path I set in the options.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

diduz wrote:Is there a way to force ScummVM to save the screenshots in a specific directory?
There is no way to specify where the screenshots are saved from ScummVM itself. There is however a way to do it by editing the configuration file as described in section 9.0 of the README. You may also want to have a look at section 8.0 that gives more information on the configuration file.

If that is what you tried and it didn’t work, then either you did it wrong or there is a bug (in the latter case a bug report would be nice).
diduz

Post by diduz »

criezy wrote: There is however a way to do it by editing the configuration file as described in section 9.0 of the README.
Doh, you're right, sorry! I modified the .ini file and I managed to modify the screenshot directory.
Thanks again! :D
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello Guys,

congratulations on this great release. Your are doing an awesome job.

I came to wonder where the additional game data files (like lure.dat, kyra.dat etc.) can be downloaded from. They do not seem to be part of the installer and I can't find them on the downloads page, as metntioned on the readme either...

The same applies to the translations and themes, or did I miss something (maybe I am getting old... :shock: )

Regards,
Vorph
cobra

debian 8 jessie relase?

Post by cobra »

I want to try this new version, but I'm using debian 8 jessie, there would be a 2.0 relase for debian 8 jessie?, it would be great, though the 1.9 version i have now works good.
I really apreciate all the nice job you guys done.