ScummVM on Smartphone (QTek 8310)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

I tried to play CoMI with the scummvm-0.8.1-PPC2002_2006_02_03 Version on my Axim X50v (WM5 upgrade, VGA Device), but it told me directly after starting the game in the green scummvm console:
"ERROR: vorbis library compiled support needed!"

I am using ogg compressed sound files for CoMI.

Is it possible you compiled this release without ogg vorbis? Is it possible for you to add the support? In the 0.8.1 release it is no problem playing the games with ogg compressed sound. I did not try the previous version (02_02).

I am happy with 0.8.1 release binary, but maybe other users a depending on this version and want ogg support ...

kind regards

Frank
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Well, Arisme is doing excellent stuff.. I'm only throwing in a couple of lines here and there :)
Then thanks to both of you folks! :D
knakos wrote:
Pa9an wrote:I tried to play some games designed for FMTowns. Especially in Loom which seems to use the full 320*240 resolution, the lower part of the screen seems to be cut off. When you e.g. look at things in the game, the image of the item is displayed at the bottom of the screen with a description of it below the item. The text of this description is cut off about in the middle, so you only see the upper half of the font.
Just played the smartphone 176x220 version and it looks fine. It may be something with the QVGA version. I'll check it out later.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to a fix!
knakos wrote:Yes, it's compiled with ogg suport built in. Check out the readme or the excellent tutorial by SirDave.
Sorry, my oversight. I've converted the ogg files into 64bit MP3s, though, and now the music works just fine.
knakos wrote:Many people get the zone function wrong. There are three mouse zones. When you hit the zone key the current position of the mouse cursor is saved, and the cursor is moved to the position of the next zone. So you have zone 1:playfield, zone 2:verb area, zone 3:inventory. Ex: Start a game, point to something in the playfiled, press zone, select give, push zone, select newspaper, push zone, select the actor. That's it, instead of scrolling around the screen with one cursor, you get three.
Thanks! I'm still having problems understanding and using it, though. It seems the function expects a specific sequence of where to click when. So I end up thinking to have fixed the cursor position in the game area and want to have the second point in the verbs, but the program only remembers it once. So maybe I should have first fixed the spot for the verbs and then...well, I'm still confused ;)

One more thing I am wondering as well:
Is there a way to get rid of the phone's status symbols popping up in the lower right corner when e.g you get a new text or the network quality changes or so.
This doesn't look nice on the display and you only get rid of it occasionally (cannot reproduce when, though). Usually it just stays at the non-refreshed lower 20 pixels of the screen...
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

OK guys, issues noted.
taemo

Post by taemo »

I was having simular problems with the zone key but it now appears to be working fine.

I have been trying to flip the screen round so I have the control keys on the right, but I cant seem to do this. I found one post on here saying holding 0 & 1,2,3 has effect of this sort of thing but it doesnt work for me.
Maybe cos I have remapped my keys ??

Though it would be a .ini file option but I cant find and doc's and its not
clear in the source code. Any ideas ?

Many Many thanks to you guys really enjoyable app :)

Cheers

Jamie
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

you can't flip the screen on Smartphones, yet
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

taemo wrote:I was having simular problems with the zone key but it now appears to be working fine.
I eventually figured it out as well - and it is actually working really fine. Well, sometimes I seem to be a bit slow... ;)

Kostas, any news on the 320x240 issue and/or the status-symbols-popping-up thing?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Nope. no time for this yet :(
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Nope. no time for this yet :(
No worries! That's only fine-tuning things - I enjoy ScummVM in everyday's use and am more than happy the 'real issues' are fixed, thanks to you! :wink:
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Nope. no time for this yet :(
Another month down the road - and I'm only curious on any news...? 8)
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Dear Pa9an and All,

Take one dose of extreme lazyness and add one dose of very busy days. That's how things have been lately for me :( But it is my intention to do some work for scummvm and the other pro bono projects I'm involved, in the next couple of weeks. I know Arisme commited some stuff recently, haven't seen exactly what.

But in the meantime, let's recap what we'd like implemented or fixed in the next version, if possible:

1) Integration of n0p's interpolating, vertical stretching filter for 320x200 => 320x240
2) Virtual keyboard popup for smartphones (I'd like that)
3) Addition of inverted landscape display
4) SDL backend issues with WM5 devices

I'd say 2 & 4 are critical for normal functionality, 1 should be straightforward.

Anything else?
Kostas
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Dear Pa9an and All,

Take one dose of extreme lazyness and add one dose of very busy days. That's how things have been lately for me :( But it is my intention to do some work for scummvm and the other pro bono projects I'm involved, in the next couple of weeks. I know Arisme commited some stuff recently, haven't seen exactly what.

But in the meantime, let's recap what we'd like implemented or fixed in the next version, if possible:

1) Integration of n0p's interpolating, vertical stretching filter for 320x200 => 320x240

I'd say 2 & 4 are critical for normal functionality, 1 should be straightforward.

Anything else?
Kostas
Well, I'm not sure if you captured these already (only expressed yourself differently and meant the same)? For me this list would include:

5) No more popping up status symbols (battery, texts, network) into the ScummVM screen. This only seems to happen if there are any changes to any of those (like better/worse network cover, new text, etc).
6) Fix the problem that 320x240 games like the FM Towns version of Loom seem to have - the lower part of the screen is cut off. This usually affects the lower part of the items descriptions in Loom, dunno about other games.
7) I'm not sure if the following can be fixed or if it is not an issue of ScummVM: The cursor seems to be very slow sometimes when you start ScummVM. This usually improves after a few minutes (and sometimes it already starts normally quick, usually when you had started and exited ScummVM before) but it really confuses...

...and thanks again for all your help, Kostas!
elmuerte

Post by elmuerte »

8) ability to map quick action keys (e.g. pickup, give, etc). Most games have 9 actions and a smartphone has 9 numbered keys that have a nice layout to map those action keys to. Ofcourse these keys should not work during 'talk mode' so you can still use the 1-9 keys to quick select a line.
9) flip display, I prefer to have my keys on the right side of the screen instead of the left side like it currently is
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Dear Pa9an and All,

Anything else?
Kostas
Hi Kostas,

any status update yet? 8)

Thanks!
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Hey,

I think I'll some some good news by Monday.

K.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Hey,

I think I'll some some good news by Monday.

K.
REALLY looking forward to it!! :D