Trouble opening ScummVM disk image on Mac

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Yossarian

Trouble opening ScummVM disk image on Mac

Post by Yossarian »

Hi,

First things first, I would like to thank the makers of ScummVM for giving me a chance to relive some great games of my childhood. Unfortunately, before I can do that I need some help.

I've downloaded the disk image for mac, and I've tested it out on my mum's desk-top which is running OS 10.4.6 and it works fine. I've copied the disk image over to my iBook, which is running OS 10.1.5 and when I double click on it, I get a window up with 'Disk Copy' written at the top, and a message saying 'Unable to verify "scummvm-0.8.2-macosx.dmg"'.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes, it's quite simple: The disk image is in a format which 10.1 is not able to read. Even if you could manage to open it, ScummVM won't work on your 10.1 machine.

ScummVM works on 10.3 and 10.4, and *may* work on 10.2 (though I have no way to test that), but definitely won't work on 10.1.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

Bugger.

So, I would assume that there's no way around this? If not, was there ever a version of ScummVM that ran on OS9, because I can run that on my laptop as well.

*Keeps clutching at straws*
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I think there was a port for classic MacOS around ScummVM 0.2.0. You are the first to ask for one in several years, actually =).

You may be able to compile current ScummVM under 10.1, but the only compiler available there is GCC 2.95.2, not sure if we still compile with that. Of course you also will have to install some version of SDL etc. to do all this. Our Wiki has some instructions on how to compile ScummVM yourself.
MartNick

Post by MartNick »

Which game are you trying to play? I managed to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis straight off the CD in classic mode, and changing the screen res. I then just save/Load game to HD.
ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

fingolfin wrote:Yes, it's quite simple: The disk image is in a format which 10.1 is not able to read. Even if you could manage to open it, ScummVM won't work on your 10.1 machine.

ScummVM works on 10.3 and 10.4, and *may* work on 10.2 (though I have no way to test that), but definitely won't work on 10.1.
Don't worry, as you saw some time ago I won't let ScummVM no longer work on 10.2, at least as long as I use this iBook. Which reminds me... (goes off to download 0.8.2, as it has not already been done since free time for games has been 0 lately) Excellent, 0.8.2 still works perfect on 10.2.8. By the way, what makes ScummVM not work on 10.1.5?