Missing Curse of Monkey Island Saves

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Madax91
Got a warning

Missing Curse of Monkey Island Saves

Post by Madax91 »

Been playing Curse of Monkey Island. Got to chapter four, and I kept noticing a popup that said the game failed to save. I found that weird, but continued on. Then, the game crashed.

I reloaded the game, made up some of my progress, and tried to manually save. I then noticed both the auto and manual save said "Invalid save," and I couldn't save. I looked it up on these forums, and somehow, my save path got removed. I thought I fixed it, but when I restarted, there are no saves. :( I tried downloading a save file (playing mega-monkey mode, by the way,) but I couldn't figure out how to load it.

Help! I don't want to restart the game from the beginning. Also, be gentle with me, as this is my first time posting. You'll probably have to explain it like I'm a child.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Are you using Windows? MacOS? Linux? something else? (this is called the operating system)

What version of the operating system are you using (e.g. "Windows XP", "MacOS 10.11 El Capitan", "Android 4.1 Jellybean")?

What version of ScummVM are you using?

Where is ScummVM installed to?

You say "my save path got removed", tell us more. What is the location you believe is the save path? How did you fix it?

The more detail the better :)
Madax91
Got a warning

Post by Madax91 »

tsoliman wrote:Are you using Windows? MacOS? Linux? something else? (this is called the operating system)

What version of the operating system are you using (e.g. "Windows XP", "MacOS 10.11 El Capitan", "Android 4.1 Jellybean")?

What version of ScummVM are you using?

Where is ScummVM installed to?

You say "my save path got removed", tell us more. What is the location you believe is the save path? How did you fix it?

The more detail the better :)
Windows 10. Using version 0.10.0 It went from saving the files in a certain path to having no path at all. No reason. I moved the path to where the game is installed. (right in my F hard drive, which is my 1TB HDD. My computer runs on a 128 GB HDD) Scumm is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\ScummVM.

Hopefully, that's all the questions that need to be answered, because I'm ready to move onto the tech support part. I miss my Guybrush.
albadross

Post by albadross »

Also, when you run ScummVM, check the following from the main menu :

1. Click on Options followed by the Paths sub-heading. Check if you have the right save path.

2. Click on the game (CoMI) and then Edit Game followed by the Paths sub-heading. Carry out the same check.

If either say 'Default', you can change them to a folder where you want the savegames to be. I have different folders for every game.

Hope this helps. PM also sent.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Could it be that you went from using a recent ScummVM to an older one? ScummVM 0.10.0 is from 2007.
I recommend you upgrade to the latest release before trying to fix the problem.

I am not an expert on the windows port but at some point the default save game location was migrated to be somewhere else.

Also, if ScummVM is trying to save to C:\Program Files\ (in a Windows that's newer than XP), it can cause problems. These are now "protected" directories.
Madax91
Got a warning

Post by Madax91 »

Upgraded to the latest version. I just need help searching for my old saves. Or figuring out how to replace them.
Last edited by Madax91 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Madax91 wrote:I think I got ScummVm in a Curse torrent, which explains its age. Upgraded to the latest version. I just need help searching for my old saves. Or figuring out how to replace them.
Whats a "Curse torrent"?
corpse

Post by corpse »

Madax91 wrote:I think I got ScummVm in a Curse torrent, which explains its age. Upgraded to the latest version. I just need help searching for my old saves. Or figuring out how to replace them.
See rule 0, no assistance will be given those using pirate, warez or abandonware software

A quick google search shows that both amazon and ebay have these available for purchase.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Madax91 wrote:Upgraded to the latest version. I just need help searching for my old saves. Or figuring out how to replace them.
Editing your pirate download post won't help
You violated the rules