Space Quest IV: Is this a bug?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Space Quest IV: Is this a bug?

Post by CaptainJei »

I'm playing through Space Quest IV CD. I've already gotten new pants and escaped from the Sequel Police through the skating rink, gone to Ulence Flats and returned. The problem is, Sacks (or Socks) is closed and is staying closed, so I'm not able to buy the dress to use the ATM.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

You should have gotten the dress and raided the ATM before escaping the sequel police.

I guess you found a dead-end.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I played through it through DOSBox, and it exhibited the same behavior, so it does look like it's just a very unfortunate dead end.

On other not, I don't know who fixed the missing points bug when Roger changes out of the dress after using the ATM, but I've very grateful to them. That's been bugging me for two decades now!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It's probably the Sequel Police showing up that cues a bunch of things to happen in the rest of the mall. I think it can happen at any time. Don't go in the arcade until you're ready. :) I don't mind most dead ends, but this one is one I mind the least since after the sequel police arrive they basically take over the entire mall.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

It certainly makes sense (for both story and game mechanics purposes) that the stores close when the Sequel Police arrive, but it doesn't make sense that they stay closed, especially considering that you have to return to the mall to buy or exchange the PocketPal adapter, and they're no longer around.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I distinctly remember being able to return the item after believing for years that it was actually a dead end...
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Right. You're able to return and exchange the PocketPal adapter. The odd thing is that after you escape the Sequel Police by leaving that time period, when you return to the mall, Hz So Good is open again, but Sacks isn't.