Help Gnap to Repair His U.F.O.!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Help Gnap to Repair His U.F.O.!

Post by Strangerke »

While traveling through space in his spaceship, Gnap ran out of gas and crashed in the middle of a redneck farm. He's now lost on planet Earth and needs your help to fix his U.F.O. so he can continue his journey!

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce that U.F.O.s aka GNAP: Der Schurke aus dem All is now playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds, and is ready for testing.

Please report any bugs as well as unknown versions you find in our bug tracker, following our bug submission guidelines. As usual, we'll also love to see the screenshots of your playthrough!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Great work, neat little adventure :-)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Thanks again for your test results, Raziel^.
It's a great relief to know it's fully playable on a BigEndian platforms (AmigaOS)! :)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

It's a great little adventure though I do recall not liking the mini games so much :)

Good work supporting another title!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Reckless wrote:It's a great little adventure though I do recall not liking the mini games so much :)

Good work supporting another title!
At least it hasn't got a maze ;-)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I didn't see an entry for the game on the data files wiki page but copying all of the data files (DAT, AVI, MID) from the ufos folder off the CD was not enough; in this case the original executable, ufos.exe, is also required.

Will have a play through over the next couple of weeks.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I'll add an entry. You indeed need the files you listed (everything except the ICO file).
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Have completed play through. The coin catching 'game' was painful!

Screenshots uploaded

Sent further information wrt ScummVM crash.

I have to run the original game engine to check if it's the same but the scene where the bucket is placed on the kid's head may have an issue as the inventory still showed the bucket when it was on the kid's head.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Thanks a lot. I'll double check this part too, thanks for the hint
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I sent you a couple of PM's regarding the crash but they are sat in the "outbox" instead of moving to sent. If they're stuck - shall I just raise a bug with the information?
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Reckless wrote:I have to run the original game engine to check if it's the same but the scene where the bucket is placed on the kid's head may have an issue as the inventory still showed the bucket when it was on the kid's head.
I can verify that the bucket shows in the inventory even though it's on the kid's head when using the original game engine.
8BitAirwaves

Re: Help Gnap to Repair His U.F.O.!

Post by 8BitAirwaves »

Has anyone else had a crash early on when first leaving the farm? I can’t get past it, the cutscene shows the truck driving to the city then it crashes saying

ERROR: Gamesys: :drawbitmap() Error loading the bitmap!

I’ll submit it to the bugtracker but figured I’d ask if there’s a setting, perhaps audio, that I should try
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

8BitAirwaves wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 pm Has anyone else had a crash early on when first leaving the farm? I can’t get past it, the cutscene shows the truck driving to the city then it crashes saying

ERROR: Gamesys: :drawbitmap() Error loading the bitmap!

I’ll submit it to the bugtracker but figured I’d ask if there’s a setting, perhaps audio, that I should try
I haven't really played the game, so I had to consult a walkthrough. But it didn't crash for me during the truck ride, and I made it safely (?) to the the end of the ride. It did crash once for me when opening my inventory, but I wasn't able to reproduce that and running it through a memory debugger didn't print any warnings. So I have no idea about that.
Ganellon

Post by Ganellon »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 am I haven't really played the game, so I had to consult a walkthrough. But it didn't crash for me during the truck ride, and I made it safely (?) to the the end of the ride. It did crash once for me when opening my inventory, but I wasn't able to reproduce that and running it through a memory debugger didn't print any warnings. So I have no idea about that.
Any solutions yet?

I'm having the same problem:

LOG:
- ERROR: Gamesys: :drawbitmap() Error loading the bitmap!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Ganellon: I will commit a change shortly to the GNAP engine which should improve that error output to indicate which bitmap resource id is failing. Please test with the next nightly build and see if you can replicate and get the resource id causing the issue.