Port progress & nightly builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Uninstall the store version and all the plugins. Then install the daily build version and all the daily build plugins you want.
Sunnyhat

Post by Sunnyhat »

tsoliman wrote:Uninstall the store version and all the plugins. Then install the daily build version and all the daily build plugins you want.
That worked. Only tried uninstalling the main app before. Thanks for the fast reply.

Sadly Eye of the Beholder doesnt seem to work. It regocnizes the game properly but then crashes to homescreen on start game.

My old games work fine though. Should i bug report?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Look at the output of alogcat first. That'll be required for th bug report anyway.
ballboy88

Re: Port progress & nightly builds

Post by ballboy88 »

dhewg wrote:Hi,

recently the port has seen a few changes - either to fix bugs, to improve current features, or to add new ones.

There're still some rough edges, but it would be nice to get some feedback on how its working on all the various Android devices out there. We can only test on a very limited selection.

Apart from the usual minor fixes, the NEWS file lists the bigger changes, while the README.Android describes the new input system.

WARNING: The APKs are unsigned, which means that you can't directly update ScummVM when you have another version installed (The market release, the official 1.2.1 release, or some unofficial package). You have to uninstall and reinstall in that case, which could mean that you might lose your savegames. It is hightly recommended that you set the savegame path in the option dialog to the SD card. If you moved your savegames already to SD, you won't lose them during the uninstall procedure. Once you have a nightly installed, you can upgrade that with another nightly without losing anything.

If you're still up to it, grab a nightly build (the 'master' link), and report your findings. The download link is updated once a day.
All kinds of feedback is appreciated ;)

When replying, please mention:
1) The manufacturer and model of the used device
2) The Android OS version
3) If using a "custom rom"

When ScummVM crashes on your device, please install "alogcat" from market. You can mail the log output directly via eMail, shoot that at dhewg@wiibrew.org

Thanks and have fun!
I'm getting an error message when I try to d/l latest android stable release, does one exist?
ugoff

Post by ugoff »

When trying to install either the stable or dev builds on my TF300T tablet with Android 4.2.2, the APKs will not install. Trying to install from ADB, it spits out an error: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]

I have turned off the profiles in the system settings, but it's not allowing any of thses APKs to install.

The market version installs fine. Any ideas?
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

ugoff wrote:Trying to install from ADB, it spits out an error: Failure INSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE
You have to remove all the existing packages first, Android's package manager won't let you install the debug-signed packages alongside the release-signed packages.
LazyGit

Post by LazyGit »

When replying, please mention:
1) Nvidia Shield Tablet LTE
2) 5.0.1
3) No custom ROM, no Root

The dev build simply won't install. It attempts to but immediately says 'App not installed'. Alogcat shows no messages at all.

The Play store version would install but crashes on opening. I removed the Play version plus engines and deleted everything I could find that looked like it was to do with ScummVM before trying to install the dev build.

Edit: Corrected typos. Also: I am able to install apps from outside Play.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

1) I'm using a OnePlus One
2) Android 4.4.4
3) The main OS is officially CyanogenOS 11S

The build works fine, I only have one question regarding the audio, which I've mentioned previously within the Android thread.

Why hasn't the MT-32 emulator been baked into the Android release yet? I don't consider it a limitation of current Android phones considering that it works perfectly on an optimized build for my Raspberry Pi 2.

I would love to see this in an upcoming build, as I like to play the games through my headphones on my phone anyway, as it is surprisingly immersive! It is just missing that wonderful MT-32 music...

Thanks, and best of luck!

-P
2Mourty

MT-32 Emulation in Android

Post by 2Mourty »

phunimator wrote:1) I'm using a OnePlus One
2) Android 4.4.4
3) The main OS is officially CyanogenOS 11S

The build works fine, I only have one question regarding the audio, which I've mentioned previously within the Android thread.

Why hasn't the MT-32 emulator been baked into the Android release yet? I don't consider it a limitation of current Android phones considering that it works perfectly on an optimized build for my Raspberry Pi 2.

I would love to see this in an upcoming build, as I like to play the games through my headphones on my phone anyway, as it is surprisingly immersive! It is just missing that wonderful MT-32 music...

Thanks, and best of luck!

-P
I second this. Farily recent devices can probably handle this now and it is already built into DOSBOX turbo. I would rather use scummvm for those games that really need MT-32 emulation. Much more elegant.
Eduardo911

Post by Eduardo911 »

does anyone know if theres a workaround (or maybe a fork?) the supports android devices with a more modern set of buttons? i.e. pretty much every phone now only has buttons for back, home, and taskswitch, the menu button has been more or less deprecated for years, but without it there doesnt seem to be any way to make some scummvm games usable (since you can't access the menu to save/load/exit/etc)
todd7416

Post by todd7416 »

I am wondering the same thing about the menu key workaround. I am using a ZTE Lever (unrooted) running Android 5.1. My little LG Optimus Dynamic worked fine because it had a dedicated menu button. What is the solution to this problem? I've been searching for days and trying different things. I thought after all this time they would have addressed this issue.
jortlaban

Post by jortlaban »

Eduardo911 wrote:does anyone know if theres a workaround (or maybe a fork?) the supports android devices with a more modern set of buttons? i.e. pretty much every phone now only has buttons for back, home, and taskswitch, the menu button has been more or less deprecated for years, but without it there doesnt seem to be any way to make some scummvm games usable (since you can't access the menu to save/load/exit/etc)
depending on the device, you can press and hold the taskswitch button to bring up the menu or press and hold the back button on even newer devices.
The problem with the latter is that you have to hold it to make a selection, once a selection is made, the menu works just fine without holding any button.
On the first option, the menu stays active once open.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

1) I'm using a OnePlus One
2) Android 5.1
3) The main OS is officially CyanogenOS 12S

I'm just writing because I've tried the latest stable nightly, which is 1.8.1 built 04/04/16, and I'm a bit disappointed that there is still no MT32, especially since it is a headlining feature of the 1.8.0 release in general.

I have tried both the latest releases of the Raspberry Pi, and IOS builds (specifically on a RPi 2 and iPad Mini 2 respectively), and they both work brilliantly with MT32.

I hope that this can be added to the Android version for official release soon. Best of luck!
rkk

Post by rkk »

Hi, I'm very interested in the MT-32 emulation for Android. Has this feature been removed deliberately or is the implementation just not working on Android. Is there any DEV build for Android that have the MT-32 emulation in it to test it out? Any input on this from the porters? Are they still active?

Greetings and thanks for the awesome work.
Spin

Post by Spin »

Nightly builds don't work for me, keep getting black screen, nothing else happens. Same issue with the 1.9.0 release binaries from the ScummVM website. However the beta (1.9.0.1) from the play store does work, albeit some games have issues that my ScummVM git build on Arch Linux doesn't have but that's another topic.

I tested this on my Note 3 running Lineage 14 and upwards. And on my Oneplus 5 running official stock OOS. But also latest Pure Fusion ROM (AOSP based).

Here is a logcat for ScummVM:

Code: Select all

---- 10 Oct 2017 10:11:45 am ----

10-10 10:11:11.043  1128  3077 I ActivityManager: Killing 788:org.scummvm.scummvm/u0a208 (adj 900): remove task

10-10 10:11:11.058  1128  2085 W InputDispatcher: channel 'e6b80ce org.scummvm.scummvm/org.scummvm.scummvm.ScummVMActivity (server)' ~ Consumer closed input channel or an error occurred.  events=0x9

10-10 10:11:11.058  1128  2085 E InputDispatcher: channel 'e6b80ce org.scummvm.scummvm/org.scummvm.scummvm.ScummVMActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!

10-10 10:11:11.061  1128  3099 I WindowManager: WIN DEATH: Window{e6b80ce u0 org.scummvm.scummvm/org.scummvm.scummvm.ScummVMActivity}

10-10 10:11:11.061  1128  3099 W InputDispatcher: Attempted to unregister already unregistered input channel 'e6b80ce org.scummvm.scummvm/org.scummvm.scummvm.ScummVMActivity (server)'

10-10 10:11:11.061  1128  3099 W WindowManager: Force-removing child win Window{7cbd6fc u0 SurfaceView - org.scummvm.scummvm/org.scummvm.scummvm.ScummVMActivity} from container Window{e6b80ce u0 org.scummvm.scummvm/org.scummvm.scummvm.ScummVMActivity}

10-10 10:11:14.846  1128  6674 I ActivityManager: START u0 {act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 cmp=org.scummvm.scummvm/.ScummVMActivity (has extras)} from uid 10123 on display 0

10-10 10:11:14.875  1128  6674 I ActivityManager: Start proc 1221:org.scummvm.scummvm/u0a208 for activity org.scummvm.scummvm/.ScummVMActivity

10-10 10:11:14.928  1221  1221 W linker  : /data/app/org.scummvm.scummvm-1/lib/arm/libscummvm.so: is missing DT_SONAME will use basename as a replacement: "libscummvm.so"

10-10 10:11:14.989  1128  1212 I ActivityManager: Displayed org.scummvm.scummvm/.ScummVMActivity: +125ms

---- 10 Oct 2017 10:11:45 am ----