ScummVM Release 1.8.0 Testing is Starting

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

albadross

Post by albadross »

I am trying to check my latest bugs have been cleared but the daily builds for Win64 and Win32 do not seem to have been updated since February 7.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

albadross wrote:I am trying to check my latest bugs have been cleared but the daily builds for Win64 and Win32 do not seem to have been updated since February 7.
There's definitely up to date ones for Win32 over here: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily
albadross

Post by albadross »

That is where I normally download my daily builds.

If they are up-to-date, why is scummvm.exe (win64) dated 07/02/16 13:54 and scummvm.exe (Win32) dated 07/02/16 15:02?

I have downloaded them every day and the downloads have remained the same, namely, mingw-64-master-1b21b8b9 and mingw-w32-master-1b21b8b9. These are also dated 07/12/16 (as above).

That is why I believe they are not up-to-date.

Furthermore, if you look at bug #7024 (one that I am trying to test and was closed-fixed over a day ago), the correction has yet to appear in a daily build.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

For now, please use the "Win32 ScummVM Daily Snapshot" on the downloads page I linked. This one says "build from repository, 7979K Win32 exe file, last update: February 12, 2016, 9:32 am)", so I believe it should be up to date.
albadross

Post by albadross »

Okay, I see what you mean but I never look at :

Win32 ScummVM Daily Snapshot - Provided by ScummVM Team member Travis 'Kirben' Howell, updated several times daily

because I find the Win32 build always crashes with an application error on my Win64 machine. As indeed did the 12 February version you asked me to try.

I always use the link above the one you mention

Download the official daily builds.

That has always worked for me - I guess I shall have to be patient.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

albadross wrote:Okay, I see what you mean but I never look at :

Win32 ScummVM Daily Snapshot - Provided by ScummVM Team member Travis 'Kirben' Howell, updated several times daily

because I find the Win32 build always crashes with an application error on my Win64 machine. As indeed did the 12 February version you asked me to try.
Please add a bug report for that error, otherwise it will never get resolved.

I compile ScummVM and test on Windows 7 SP1 (x64), so an error should not be occurring on any Win64 machines.
albadross

Post by albadross »

Bug #7029 submitted for this Win64 build problem,
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

I meant add a bug report for the exact error you get, when using my Windows build of ScummVM. We can't fix that error, without knowing the specific details.

The Windows builds on buildbot are only meant as backup for Windows, and the lack of updates are due to the system currently running low on disk space.
albadross

Post by albadross »

You misunderstand me - I do not get any error. The version I can download from February 7 runs fine.

My problem is that a bug (#7024) was reported closed-fixed on February 11 and I am trying to check it out. Obviously, I can't do this until I get a build made after that date.

Like I said, I'll be patient.

When I ran your latest Win32 version on my 64-bit machine, I got the message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application".

I am not really bothered about finding out why I get an application error running Win32 software on a Win64 machine but googling this error code would seem to indicate a possible software conflict between Win 32 and 64. It also appears a common problem and, as you might expect for Google, a multitude of potential solutions.

Anyway, I will put in a bug report for you in case it helps someone in the future.
albadross

Post by albadross »

I got so frustrated with the fact you said that you could get the Feb 13 version working that I deleted the ScummVM program folder from my machine and re-installed the Feb 13 Win 32 version from scratch onto my Win64 machine.

And hey presto, it worked!

I am sure there is a problem somewhere mixing the two breeds as I have had that error message many times in the past. But the solution is simple - make sure you uninstall any earlier versions first.

Feel free to close the bug reports I have generated if you wish.

And, yes, bug #7024 checked out as well.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

You managed to uncover a unique bug though, which has been fixed now. So hopefully people won't have problems switching between 32bit and 64bit Windows builds of ScummVM in the future.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

albadross wrote:I have been working on the daily builds for quite a while now and have successfully got to the end of :

Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

I have got at least halfway through and have submitted game-stopping bug reports (some of which are being looked at, as I write) for :

Amazon: Guardians of Eden
Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars

It looks as though 1.8.0 will be a humdinger!

Edit : All my games are PC versions run with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Can you please give more information about the game versions, i.e. language, whether they are CD or Floppy versions (if applicable)?

When reporting that you completed a game, please also give the exact version ScummVM shows in the launcher (and your platform, including whether you use a 32bit or 64bit build of ScummVM). For the version we are especially interested in the last 7 characters. For example, a version you can see is: "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b". Here we would be especially interested in "f37362b".
It can alterantively be obtained through the command line by passing --version to the ScummVM executable.

It would also be nice if you could tell whether you used multiple daily builds for playing through. Ideal would be if you used a single version of ScummVM for a single game, i.e. play whole game with "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b". If that is not possible, due to bugs etc., it would be very interesting for us to know the versions of all ScummVM builds you used while playing.
Last edited by LordHoto on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vorph wrote:Game tested: Discworld (CD/DOS/German)

ScummVM: 1.8.0git (Feb 3. 2016)

Completeable - No Regressions Noted

P.S. I had to play the 2nd Act twice as the sequence in which the thief is intened to steal the "wrong" book was not triggered. In the second go I did not have this problem...
Is "1.8.0git" all the version information you have? It would be nice to know the revision it was based upon. We usually supply that as the last 7 characters in version strings like: "gf37362b" in "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b".

Did you run a 32bit or 64bit version of ScummVM?

What audio output did you use?

Can you open a bug report about the issue you are seeing?
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello,

sorry... at least some details I can give you.

I used a 32Bit Build of ScummVM - I did use a "handmade" MinGW build. I used a GIT Snapshot from February the 3rd at 8pm (CET). I did not post a Bug Report as I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I would take another go using the current daily build (gdb49761) - Are there any specific (audio) settings you would like me to use?

I would also like to give Maniac Mansion a go, I can offer:
- V2/DOS/German
- V2/DOS/English
- C64/English

just tell me which version you would prefer :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Vorph wrote:Hello,

sorry... at least some details I can give you.

I used a 32Bit Build of ScummVM - I did use a "handmade" MinGW build. I used a GIT Snapshot from February the 3rd at 8pm (CET). I did not post a Bug Report as I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I would take another go using the current daily build (gdb49761) - Are there any specific (audio) settings you would like me to use?

I would also like to give Maniac Mansion a go, I can offer:
- V2/DOS/German
- V2/DOS/English
- C64/English

just tell me which version you would prefer :)
Thanks for offering to test!

The games that need testing for version 1.8.0 can be found in this page:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Release_Testing/1.8.0