ScummVM Release 1.8.0 Testing is Starting

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM Release 1.8.0 Testing is Starting

Post by sev »

After a very long break, we are finally starting preparations for our next release, ScummVM 1.8.0.

The last one year and a half have been very busy, and we added 10 (ten, zehn, dieci, dix, diez, десять) new games:
  • Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender
  • Sfinx
  • Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
  • Zork: Grand Inquisitor
  • The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
  • The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo
  • Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
  • Amazon: Guardians of Eden
  • Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars
  • Labyrinth of Time
Also, we had a major rewrite of the AGI engine, so all AGI games should work better, but could also have new, unexpected bugs.

Thus, we need your help with testing out these games, including AGI-based ones. For your convenience, we gathered together what requires testing on our wiki. There are also a few other old classics on that list that could use another run through.

You need to grab a daily build of ScummVM and you may start helping right away! If you happen to find any bugs, please report them on our bug tracker. After completing one of the games, please let us know on in this forum thread so we can mark your progress on the wiki and other players can concentrate on untested games. Please be sure to follow our guidelines for release testing, which can be found here.

Also some of these games require screenshots, which you can make along your gameplay.

Happy adventuring (in a test mode)!
Last edited by sev on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albadross

Post by albadross »

I have been working on the daily builds for quite a while now and have successfully got to the end of :

Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

I have got at least halfway through and have submitted game-stopping bug reports (some of which are being looked at, as I write) for :

Amazon: Guardians of Eden
Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars

It looks as though 1.8.0 will be a humdinger!

Edit : All my games are PC versions run with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Last edited by albadross on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albadross

Post by albadross »

(Thanks to dreammaster) I have also completed Amazon: Guardians of Eden.

The only outstanding problem with this game for me is that it crashes at the point the cast credits should roll at the end. I have submitted a bug report.

But this won't stop anyone's enjoyment of playing the full game.

Edit : Latest build gets to the end of the credits.
Last edited by albadross on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Tried to run Beavis and Butthead, have been trying for a while, always the same result: whenever it's time to display the menu (the one with the buttons at the start) Scummvm dies and I get thrown to the desktop. Not even the console stays open.
albadross

Post by albadross »

I have just looked at the wiki page and noticed that you are also looking for feedback on Discworld 1 and Simon The Sorcerer 1.

Well, in the run up to last Christmas, I completed both Discworld games (1 & 2) and both Simon The Sorcerer games (1 & 2).

Hope this helps.

Edit : The only other one on the list I am hoping to complete is Broken Sword 2.5 but I am stuck in the train and the video of the time-bomb going off crashes the game (bug #6979).
albadross

Post by albadross »

I know it is not scheduled for release but I would mention that I have also managed to complete Gabriel Knight 1 under the daily builds.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Bloodbat wrote:Tried to run Beavis and Butthead, have been trying for a while, always the same result: whenever it's time to display the menu (the one with the buttons at the start) Scummvm dies and I get thrown to the desktop. Not even the console stays open.
Could you please try to follow what is suggested in FAQ #5.6. That should help.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

albadross wrote: I completed both Discworld games (1 & 2) and both Simon The Sorcerer games (1 & 2).
Did you notice any oddities with the sound? Because this what was changed.

Eugene
albadross

Post by albadross »

sev wrote:
albadross wrote: I completed both Discworld games (1 & 2) and both Simon The Sorcerer games (1 & 2).
Did you notice any oddities with the sound? Because this what was changed.

Eugene
To be honest, I can't say I remember any problems with the sound - but then again I wasn't looking for them particularly.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

sev wrote:
Bloodbat wrote:Tried to run Beavis and Butthead, have been trying for a while, always the same result: whenever it's time to display the menu (the one with the buttons at the start) Scummvm dies and I get thrown to the desktop. Not even the console stays open.
Could you please try to follow what is suggested in FAQ #5.6. That should help.

Eugene
Silly me, I should have thought of that. Anyway...here's what the console displayed after scummvm crashed:

Code: Select all

User picked target 'bbvs-win' (gameid 'bbvs')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... MTV's Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity
  Starting 'Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity'
Yep, that's all that got displayed, not terribly helpful :S
Les

Post by Les »

albadross wrote:(Thanks to dreammaster) I have also completed Amazon: Guardians of Eden.

The only outstanding problem with this game for me is that it ...
Did you tested also the if the text is displayed correctly? With scummvMV Win64 1.9.0git from yesterday, in my CD version,in chapter 2, after I read the letter from the brother, only few sentences are read from the letter ( the starting ones ), most of them is skipped. :-/ ( Yes, I know I should open a bug report, I'm just waiting for the new user confirmation email from SF. )

I tested it also just now with the Win32 1.8pre10-5d61ac7f, it does the same, jump over some parts of the spoken dialogue in described moment :(.
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Game tested: Discworld (CD/DOS/German)

ScummVM: 1.8.0git (Feb 3. 2016)

Completeable - No Regressions Noted

P.S. I had to play the 2nd Act twice as the sequence in which the thief is intened to steal the "wrong" book was not triggered. In the second go I did not have this problem...
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

BTW...what is meant by "Maniac Mansion (Classic)" :?
Abenteurer

Post by Abenteurer »

Testing: Rex Nebular (DOS, Floppy Disks, English) with Daily Build (Feb. 7 2016).

First, there is a little difference in game versions: The ScummVM version of Rex Nebular is: 8.43, while my version of Rex Nebular is: 8.44.

Introduction, Credits and Quotes are running.

I´ve played the game in "Novice" and "Advanced" mode so far. And it´s completely playable. Well, there are 4 minor things
to mention:
- Intro: There is an annoying sound during attacks, repeating multiple times
- Game: Underground: Exam room:: There is a short color-bleeding in the background when you take the scalpel.
- Game: City: Kane Laboratory:: The doll (unimportant) is not selectable (it reads laser beam)
- Game: City: The elevator doors flicker while they open/close

And there are a lot of warnings (most of them refer to sound issues) shown on the console (maybe it depends on the
different version i own).

Should i report these mentions/warrnings as bugs?
albadross

Post by albadross »

Les wrote:
albadross wrote:(Thanks to dreammaster) I have also completed Amazon: Guardians of Eden.

The only outstanding problem with this game for me is that it ...
Did you tested also the if the text is displayed correctly? With scummvMV Win64 1.9.0git from yesterday, in my CD version,in chapter 2, after I read the letter from the brother, only few sentences are read from the letter ( the starting ones ), most of them is skipped. :-/ ( Yes, I know I should open a bug report, I'm just waiting for the new user confirmation email from SF. )

I tested it also just now with the Win32 1.8pre10-5d61ac7f, it does the same, jump over some parts of the spoken dialogue in described moment :(.
I think you may have spotted a problem but my experience is slightly different to yours. I have replayed that part with a current build and an old savegame. I heard all of the letter read (including the bit after the coded message) but noticed one sentence not being read on each of the first two pages displayed on the screen. I think that was all that was missing. Certainly no pages were completely ignored.

I will admit that throughout the game, when text was on the screen, listening to it being read out tended to slow me down so I started to ignore listening to it.