Call for testing: Legend of Kyrandia

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Call for testing: Legend of Kyrandia

Post by Vinterstum »

We're proud to announce that ScummVM support for The Legend of Kyrandia is now complete!

This means that we now need you, our users, to give us a helping hand. In order to root out any remaining bugs, extensive testing is sorely needed. So, please dig up your (legal!) copies of Kyrandia 1, download a SVN snapshot of ScummVM and the kyra.dat file from the Downloads page, and post any issues you find to our Bug tracker :).

Currently both CD and floppy editions are supported in their own language. English, French, German and Spanish versions are fully supported, but any other PC (and hopefully Mac) version should work as well (albeit with some text in English and some interface graphics missing). If you have an unsupported version, we'd love to hear from you! Note that Amiga versions are unfortunately not supported at all at this time.

Feel free to discuss any issues with this in this thread :)
Last edited by Vinterstum on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

Cool, im looking forward to helping out. Now onto Kyrandia!
clem

Post by clem »

btw for first-time kyra testers: you will also need an additional datafile to run Kyrandia (it's called kyra.dat, you can get it on the downloads page if you follow the link and scroll up a bit)

hope that's not some redundant info,
clem
noize

Post by noize »

Got FM-towns version.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

I started the game many times before, but as soon as you call for testing it wont run anymore. (Apr. 27)

What's up? Today's build also not starting the game.

Sorry guys.
Ad_Enuff

Post by Ad_Enuff »

LOGAN wrote:I started the game many times before, but as soon as you call for testing it wont run anymore. (Apr. 27)

What's up? Today's build also not starting the game.
I found that happened to me too, but after re-downloading the "KYRA.DAT" found here: http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... k/kyra.dat

You will notice that the file has changed. It was 60kb and now its 65kb approx.

Download and try again.
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

Ad_Enuff wrote:I found that happened to me too, but after re-downloading the "KYRA.DAT" found here: http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... k/kyra.dat

You will notice that the file has changed. It was 60kb and now its 65kb approx.

Download and try again.
That's probably not the problem he was experiencing. I found that on the day that the call testing was posted, both the Windows subversion build and the Dreamcast subversion build gave a "No valid games were found in the specified directory" error. The Windows build has been fixed for me since then, but the Dreamcast build still exhibits that error.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Ah, it seemed indeed to be the kyra.dat file.

After I noticed it didnt work I tried downloading the kyra.dat from donload page but that one was no good. And I could not easily find it in CVS, erm SVN.

Hint: if a game needs a dat file, please link it in the post calling for testers :)

Thanks alot :)

[edit]
PS. my CD-ROM version distributed by SLASH (P/N 600031) does not being recognised. I assume it only works after installing the CD-ROM?
Last edited by LOGAN on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

noize wrote:Got FM-towns version.
That one would need extra work (CD Audio and other SFX files AFAIK), but since no developer has a Kyrandia 1 FM-Towns version it's unlikely that it will get supported. If you want to see the version supported you could donate it to us, that's the only way at the moment to support it (I never found any version on ebay).
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Would it be possible to make a small program that tries to auto detect the data structure of an FM-Towns version based on the existing implementation?

Can't you borrow an FM-Towns version of the game from someone?
clem

Post by clem »

LOGAN wrote:Can't you borrow an FM-Towns version of the game from someone?
I guess if someone sent an FM-Towns CD to a dev it could get supported - but what exactly is the incentive of the dev to work on that, given he returns the CD later and has no means of playing it?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

clem wrote:
LOGAN wrote:Can't you borrow an FM-Towns version of the game from someone?
I guess if someone sent an FM-Towns CD to a dev it could get supported - but what exactly is the incentive of the dev to work on that, given he returns the CD later and has no means of playing it?
Well of course we can give it back later, after we finished extracting all needed stuff and implemented missing things (since it's surely a very expensive thing), still it would be nice to have after working with it. Well the only 'someone' is noize, I never heard of someone else having this game. Also there are just a few infos about it on webpages.
Would it be possible to make a small program that tries to auto detect the data structure of an FM-Towns version based on the existing implementation?
well that doesn't help if some hardcoded stuff differs (for example filenames or whatever), also we need to check how they handled the different languages (extract hardcoded strings) (since it supports english and japanese(I think it's japanese ;)) and such stuff.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Yeah hardcoded stuff and japanese stuff indeed. Hmm how hard would it be for someone without knowledge to implement the game? Is it just picking up some right indexes or may the structure of the data be so different autodetecting locations would be virtually impossible.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Well it would need check of all hardcoded data, filetypes, functions, opcodelist and stuff. I guess that's nearlly undoable for someone with nearlly no knowledge about that stuff :) also autodetection could be pretty inefficient if the data is stored in another order and stuff, that's why we got the kyra.dat file.
[edit]
PS. my CD-ROM version distributed by SLASH (P/N 600031) does not being recognised. I assume it only works after installing the CD-ROM?
You just have to copy over the game data. can't you start the game or what exactly is the problem? if it isn't recognised it should print out a md5 and stuff which is needed for detection. (and you should provide information on language and stuff).
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

I don't know if this belongs into the bug tracker: In the German Version (International version with german subtitles) the option "text" and "speech & text" are interchanged (in German: "Text" & "Stimmen & Text").