Broken Sword installation problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JDK

Broken Sword installation problem

Post by JDK »

I apologize in advance if this has ever been addressed before--I couldn't find it referenced in any of the earlier posts.
I'm attempting to install Broken Sword on my laptop, but I run into an error during the installation process. It asks to specify the drive and folder where the game will be installed, but when I accept the default drive and directory (c:\sword), it informs me that I have insufficient disk space--only 15 MB. As my laptop has well over 30 GB free at the moment, I'm going to assume it's incorrect. Does anyone know how to avoid this problem?

General laptop specs:
1.73 Ghz Pentium M
512 MB SDRAM
100 GB HD
Win XP Home edition

Also, on an unrelated issue, is there any timetable someone could give for having Kyrandia support in a stable version of ScummVM?

Thanks,
J
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword installation problem

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JDK wrote:I'm attempting to install Broken Sword on my laptop, but I run into an error during the installation process. It asks to specify the drive and folder where the game will be installed, but when I accept the default drive and directory (c:\sword), it informs me that I have insufficient disk space--only 15 MB. As my laptop has well over 30 GB free at the moment, I'm going to assume it's incorrect. Does anyone know how to avoid this problem?
If you are trying to run Broken Sword with the original interpreter, this Web page may possibly help. If you are trying to run Broken Sword with ScummVM, you shouldn't have to run the installation program at all (unless you have one of the new Broken Sword 1 & 2 bundles, in which case I'm told you have to in order to unpack the files). Simply copy the necessary data files from the CDs to your hard disk, as described in the README file.
JDK wrote:Also, on an unrelated issue, is there any timetable someone could give for having Kyrandia support in a stable version of ScummVM?
Not until the next major release, at least. When that will be released? Well, there have been some discussion about that on the ScummVM mailing list recently, though as I'm a strict believer in the Ninety-Ninety Rule the proposed release date seems pretty optimistic to me.
kresho

Post by kresho »

I'm having the same problem when I try installing the game! I have the game mounted with Daemon tools and can't install it! I tried copying the game files from both CDs to one folder and the game works that way but there's no intro movie! Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Computer Specs:
3.4Ghz Pentium 4
1GB DDR2
200GB Maxtor HD
250GB Western Digital HD
PX-716SA Plextor SATA DVD-RW
NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Windows Media Center Edition
clem

Post by clem »

kresho wrote:I have the game mounted with Daemon tools and can't install it!
just curious, what do you need Daemon tools for? Can't you just pop the CDs in and install from there?
kresho

Post by kresho »

I can do that but I made an image of the game CDs and burned them on a DVDR! Whichever way I try the game doesn't install!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

kresho wrote:I'm having the same problem when I try installing the game! I have the game mounted with Daemon tools and can't install it! I tried copying the game files from both CDs to one folder and the game works that way but there's no intro movie! Can anyone help?
The original Smacker cutscenes are unfortunately not supported by ScummVM. You need the re-encoded cutscene packs. Without them, Broken Sword won't show any cutscenes, and Broken Sword 2 only plays the voice-overs and (optionally) shows the subtitles.
kresho

Post by kresho »

Sweet! The game works perfectly now! I got cutscenes and speech!!! Awesome!

Thanks!
PaxyBuryal

helpp

Post by PaxyBuryal »

have celeron 2.4 Ghz 512 MB RAM.whenever i try to run the install program it says Mircrosoft Visual C++ Runtime library runtime error abnormal program termination.can you please help how to install this game and what needs to be done.
also ive tried using daemon tools and auto running it but it says cant find clusters on drive
help
clem

Re: helpp

Post by clem »

PaxyBuryal wrote:have celeron 2.4 Ghz 512 MB RAM.whenever i try to run the install program it says Mircrosoft Visual C++ Runtime library runtime error abnormal program termination.can you please help how to install this game and what needs to be done.
also ive tried using daemon tools and auto running it but it says cant find clusters on drive
help
don't run the game's installation program, try:

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... index.html

(copy both CDs to the HD, don't try to run it off CD)

hope that helps,
clem
PaxyBuryal

Post by PaxyBuryal »

i tried the progam you told me to.but it keeps giving me the error:cannot open cd.inf
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PaxyBuryal wrote:i tried the progam you told me to.but it keeps giving me the error:cannot open cd.inf
Assuming that by "the program" you mean ScummVM, that error message seems pretty self-explaining to me. As the README states, "you will need the cd.bin, cd.inf and startup.inf files from the sword2 directory on CD 1".
PaxyBuryal

Post by PaxyBuryal »

thanks for your help!!
it is working now.