Can someone clarify the MIDI & MT-32 tab options?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The_cranky_hermit

Can someone clarify the MIDI & MT-32 tab options?

Post by The_cranky_hermit »

I am more or less familiar with how MIDI works. I know the difference between Adlib, MT-32, and GM. But I am confused about the ScummVM MIDI & MT-32 options tabs. Specifically, what do "GM Device" and "MT-32 Device" actually do? There's already a "Preferred Device" option on the Audio tab, and its function seems to be "send the music data to this device." I can pick my GM soft synth, my MT-32 (via MIDISPORT Uno), or the AdLib emulator. Given that, I can't deduce the point of those other two options.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Prefered device is set in global option(you can set a prefered music device for all your games). Or you can select a device under each specific games options.
The_cranky_hermit

These are all global options. You can set "GM Device" and "MT-32 Device" independently of "Preferred Device." But I don't understand what this accomplishes.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The team is well aware of the limitations in the specific audio/MIDI tabs.

They've even worded a GSOC task idea to address that problem...alas there hasn't been anyone commiting to it yet :-)
The_cranky_hermit

From playing around, I don't think these settings do anything at all!

From what I can tell, [Audio]->[Preferred Device] and [MT-32]->[True Roland MT-32] are responsible for the entire MIDI rendering path. Take Day of the Tentacle, a game with AdLib, MT-32 MIDI, and GM. If [Preferred Device] isn't a Windows MIDI option, I hear AdLib music. If it is a Windows MIDI option, then [True Roland MT-32] setting determines whether DOTT uses the MT-32 music or the GM music, and [Preferred Device] determines which device I hear it on.

[MIDI]->[GM Device] does nothing at all - no matter what I set it to, I will hear GM on the device selected on the audio tab, if and only if [True Roland MT-32] is disabled.

[MT-32]->[MT-32 Device] also does nothing at all. I will hear my MT-32 proper if and only if it's been selected on the Audio tab.

Or is it up to the game engine to interpret these settings, and not core ScummVM?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I assumed they were to set for ScummVM to treat the MIDI device it's using as an actual GM device/MT-32 device without taking shortcuts to make it sound like a GM device/MT-32 device.