Pause / Break key equivalent for ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

andy_blah

Pause / Break key equivalent for ScummVM?

Post by andy_blah »

In the PC versions of Scumm and AGI/SCI games, if you pressed on the Pause/Break key on the keyboard, the game would freeze but keep the music playing. Since trying out ScummVM, I haven't been able to find any similar functionality (by the press of a button) in ScummVM. I know it's not the same thing, and that the latter doesn't retain all the features of the original games but I thought I'd try anyway.
And yes, I know about pressing space in scumm games pauses the game, but that has the adverse effect of pausing the music too...
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

Nothing...?
Then maybe a patch that I could apply to ScummVM's source so I could get a similar functionality?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

andy_blah wrote:Nothing...?
Then maybe a patch that I could apply to ScummVM's source so I could get a similar functionality?
You could open a FR at http://github.com/scummvm/scummvm and let the devs review your changes and additions,. great place to discuss source changes aswell.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

For the SCUMM engine, you could remove the calls to _sound->pauseSounds() from ScummEngine::pauseEngineIntern(), and I imagine at least some of the other game engines may be similar. The ones that have a pause feature, at least.

(I also imagine it could cause plenty of glitches in games where the action and music are supposed to stay in sync.)
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

Raziel wrote: You could open a FR at http://github.com/scummvm/scummvm and let the devs review your changes and additions,. great place to discuss source changes aswell.
Thanks for the suggestion, but ScummVM doesn't have a issue tracker on github :)
eriktorbjorn wrote:For the SCUMM engine, you could remove the calls to _sound->pauseSounds() from ScummEngine::pauseEngineIntern(), and I imagine at least some of the other game engines may be similar. The ones that have a pause feature, at least.

(I also imagine it could cause plenty of glitches in games where the action and music are supposed to stay in sync.)
Where is that bit of code located?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

andy_blah wrote:
Raziel wrote: You could open a FR at http://github.com/scummvm/scummvm and let the devs review your changes and additions,. great place to discuss source changes aswell.
Thanks for the suggestion, but ScummVM doesn't have a issue tracker on github :)
I wasn't pointing you to one ;-)

Obviously it's a feature you want to have implemented not a bug, hence i pointed to the Feature Requests, or rather "Pull Requests".

You can describe the problems you're having in the PR and let the devs discuss, help or show you the places in the code you can try to change and work on.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

andy_blah wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but ScummVM doesn't have a issue tracker on github :)
For whatever reason, we're still using the one on SourceForge.
and_blah wrote:Where is that bit of code located?
It's in engines/scumm/scumm.cpp. I haven't looked at the other engines.
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

Raziel wrote:Obviously it's a feature you want to have implemented not a bug, hence i pointed to the Feature Requests, or rather "Pull Requests".

You can describe the problems you're having in the PR and let the devs discuss, help or show you the places in the code you can try to change and work on.
Will do. Some github projects have issue trackers that double as wishlists. I never submitted a pull request, so I hope I'm not doing anything silly :P
eriktorbjorn wrote:For whatever reason, we're still using the one on SourceForge.
Will post there as well :)
Thanks!
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

Okay, tried eriktorbjorn's suggestion and it does the job for now. The side effect is that now the music isn't stopped when I bring the menu (F5)
Also tried for the SCI engine, didn't seem to do much, and I can't test properly since there's no pause hotkey for the engine. The music however stopped when I brought up the save/load menu (F5)

Here's the patch if anyone is interested (doubt it).