Game Demos required

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Justrob

Post by Justrob »

Cool, thanks. Do you have the catalog in dutch too? If I remember it had demos for the first two Freddi Fish games as well as the first Spy Fox game.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

I think I have a few lying around somewhere. But that's outside the scope of this I think. If you know any demos the team doesn't have, and know where to find them, (what game etc) let me know and maybe I'll try to track it down.
Justrob

Post by Justrob »

I dunno where to find that stuff, I think it's nigh impossible to get a new CD of that now.

Do you by any chance have the demos for the first two Freddi Fish games separately, then?
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

I sometimes see old copies floating around ebay and other places. That's where I get lots of things. Anyway, here's the other demos. http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm ... p/download http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm ... p/download
Justrob

Post by Justrob »

Thanks again. Odd that the Freddi Fish games kept their native resolution even in fullscreen, while Pajama Sam just stretched out.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

It's a thing with the engine. There's a way to make each do the other. But that's for another forum topic. Don't want this one getting off.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Toonstruck demo:

archive.org has a Toonstruck demo that appears to be unrecognised and differs from the German one already hosted in the sourceforge demo archive.

https://archive.org/details/Toonstruck_promotional_demo

{"ONETIME.PAK", 0, "318d8874215dd11fd834e185e6a34787", 233496},
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sanguinehearts wrote: archive.org has a Toonstruck demo that appears to be unrecognised and differs from the German one already hosted in the sourceforge demo archive.
If I unzip the TOONSTRK.ZIP file in the MISC folder, ScummVM will detect it, but it won't work. It seems to be mis-detected as the full game, rather than a demo.
Collector

Post by Collector »

There is a lot on archive.org that has been tampered with. Not sure why anyone would do so with a demo, though.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

What exactly do you mean by "tampered?" This intrigues me.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Some of what is on the site is old warez/abandonware. Many of the Sierra games they have have been setup using my installers, though they often fail with abandonware because I only designed them for the original media. It is only by chance that they work with the illegitimate copies.

But I do not want to start an abandonware derailment here. My original comment was merely to point out that the demo on the site might not be original and that might be the why of its failure in ScummVM.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

It's an ISO file, and the README.TXT file refers to "the demo CD", so maybe it was some kind of cover disc?
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Gotcha. It can end here.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Looks like it's a demo that came on a magazine called CD-Action. Here's an alternative hosting location which seems to come with a little more provenance.

http://cd.textfiles.com/cdaction/cdaction07a/TOONST/