Compatibility issue

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Feenixs

Compatibility issue

Post by Feenixs »

A rather complicated explanation of my problem but here goes.

I recently bought an asus eeepc and decided after playing with linux for a bit to install an n-lited version of xp ie stripped down to the basics. I can run scummvm 0.7.1.0 perfectly except for the fact that I want to use compressed sound files for various games. Now I've tried running them through this but it appears this old scummvm version doesn't play them. So I tried installing the latest scummvm 0.11.0 which didn't work and also 0.10.0. The install works fine but when I go to run scummvm the screen flashes up and goes. I went through command prompt to see exactly what this error was and it came up with "Unable to access application data directory". I've searched for any common occurences and fixes for this with no results. I may be a complete idiot and it could be a simple fix but any help would be greatly appretiated.

Cheers
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Compatibility issue

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Feenixs wrote:"Unable to access application data directory". I've searched for any common occurences and fixes for this with no results.
The good news is that there's only one case where ScummVM produces that error, and that's when loading the default configuration file:

Code: Select all

// Check for non-9X version of Windows.
if (win32OsVersion.dwPlatformId != VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS) {
    // Use the Application Data directory of the user profile.
    if (win32OsVersion.dwMajorVersion >= 5) {
        if (!GetEnvironmentVariable("APPDATA", configFile, sizeof(configFile)))
            error("Unable to access application data directory");
    } else {
The bad news is that I have absolutely no idea why that would fail. I thought the APPDATA environment variable was set by Windows automagically. If I open a command prompt on the Windows XP box I'm sitting at right now, and type echo %APPDATA%, it prints C:\Documents and Settings\my username\Application Data.

I haven't tried running ScummVM on it, though.
Feenixs

Post by Feenixs »

Well I think I've found the problem from what you've said. When I try echo %APPDATA% it responds with %APPDATA%. Apparently this is sometimes a bug with various OSs. Now the problem is fixing it, I've tried the microsoft workaround for it but doesn't appear to do anything. How on earth do I get %APPDATA% forwarding to the right folder?!

Argh!
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

install an n-lited version of xp ie stripped down to the basics.
I don't suppose you need me telling you that, but those stripped down versions of Windows ARE well-known to produce bugs of varying exocity and beautifulness when trying to run seemingly innocent software on them simply because something in them was stripped out way too far, or left a hole that wasn't properly plugged. Just a pointer at the most possible reason.

Try a different build if you can get your hands on one.
Feenixs

Post by Feenixs »

I think for me a different build is the only answer really :) If this does happen to anyone else try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329308 and see if that fixes it.
L4ce

Post by L4ce »

Yesterday I had the same issue on a fresh N-Lited XP. My solution was just to manually add the environment variable "APPDATA" to my user pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\my username\Application Data.

Now echo %APPDATA% outputs the right directory and Scumm works as it should... :D

Btw, Microsoft fix did not work.
AKA-Osuke

Re: Compatibility issue

Post by AKA-Osuke »

Feenixs wrote:A rather complicated explanation of my problem but here goes.

I recently bought an asus eeepc and decided after playing with linux for a bit to install an n-lited version of xp ie stripped down to the basics. I can run scummvm 0.7.1.0 perfectly except for the fact that I want to use compressed sound files for various games. Now I've tried running them through this but it appears this old scummvm version doesn't play them. So I tried installing the latest scummvm 0.11.0 which didn't work and also 0.10.0. The install works fine but when I go to run scummvm the screen flashes up and goes. I went through command prompt to see exactly what this error was and it came up with "Unable to access application data directory". I've searched for any common occurences and fixes for this with no results. I may be a complete idiot and it could be a simple fix but any help would be greatly appretiated.

Cheers
Hi :) Yeah I've been looking at how to fix this but these are all for old OSs and Im having the same problem on my Windows 7 computer, what should I be doing to fix this? Its such a pain in the arse. Thanks x