ScummVM - Only for adventures?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

amoibos

ScummVM - Only for adventures?

Post by amoibos »

My question, is ScummVM only targeted to adventure or is there a range of genres? For example i saw a reimplementation of Another World. The game is more action than adventure and uses a VM.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

But not ScummVM.. I presume it's using DosBox, or some other custom implementation. ScummVM is only intended for graphical point and click adventuregames. The few exceptions(Lands of Lore and such) have been added because they share an engine with already implemented adventures(like the Kyrandia series).
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Longcat wrote:But not ScummVM..
Actually if I remember correctly there was an engine for Another World that was briefly added to ScummVM about ten years ago. There was some discussions about that on the mailing list and IRC, and since both are logged you can probably find some trace of it with Google.

But otherwise Longcat is right.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

What does the GOG release use? I have it, but am at school now, so I can't check until later.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

amoibos: Please read this:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/01/m ... g-alive/3/

Specifically the section beginning:
<snip>
Another World

The most controversial addition to the ScummVM family of engines in the project's ten-year history was that Eric Chahi's Another World (aka Out of This World). The game was a short-lived inclusion in ScummVM, lasting mere days (it never made a public release), but it caused a huge amount of internal drama.
The developers behind the engine separated it from ScummVM into its own project, which was soon disbanded at the request of Eric Chahi (who was preparing to release a Windows version of Another World with higher resolution graphics for its 15th anniversary).
</snip>

As such, reopening this issue without permission from Eric Chahi is not something IMHO that the project team would be happy with.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I think the original question wasn't only focused on Another World.

So: Yes we are only targeting 2D point & click adventure games. There's no technical reason for not adding RPG or Arcade games as our framework is really good enough to handle those, but mentioning it on a mailing list is usually enough to start WW3. Now, who knows... Maybe one day?
Morden

Post by Morden »

digitall wrote:"The most controversial addition to the ScummVM family of engines in the project's ten-year history was that Eric Chahi's Another World (...) The developers behind the engine separated it from ScummVM into its own project, which was soon disbanded at the request of Eric Chahi"
That is so bananas. I've been around for years, and I haven't even heard of this before. It's a shame, though, as the single screenshot in that article suggests that the 3DO version of the game was supported.

As for the original question, I'm all for the support of games, which aren't necessarily point & click, but they should at least be adventures of some kind. Heck, if ScummVM added support for the first Diablo game, I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't want to add anything completely radical, like platformers or other types of action games.

As for Another World, I think it's actually closer to adventure games than action games, mainly because of the trial and error mechanics, puzzles and the lack of rapid progress. In most cases, you'd have to puzzle your way out of a location, instead of just blasting through every obstacle and opponent.