Gabriel Knight Support

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tim20

Gabriel Knight Support

Post by Tim20 »

How's the progress coming along for Gabriel Knight 1 and 2? Are we getting closer to it being officially supported yet?

I just tested the first game with the daily build and it appears more stable and playable than the last time I tried it. :)
clone2727
Retired

Re: Gabriel Knight Support

Post by clone2727 »

Tim20 wrote:How's the progress coming along for Gabriel Knight 1 and 2? Are we getting closer to it being officially supported yet?
Nope.
Tim20 wrote:I just tested the first game with the daily build and it appears more stable and playable than the last time I tried it. :)
You probably haven't tried in about four years then :wink:
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

That's a shame. I was rather hoping it'd be supported sometime before the 20th Anniversary Edition comes out, so I can replay it. :(

I had tested it more recently than 4 years ago, but it still seems to run better now than it did. :)
Collector

Post by Collector »

Tim20 wrote:That's a shame. I was rather hoping it'd be supported sometime before the 20th Anniversary Edition comes out, so I can replay it. :(

I had tested it more recently than 4 years ago, but it still seems to run better now than it did. :)
Are you on Mac, or what is preventing you from playing it now?
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Even if it's Mac, then there is DosBox for it.
Collector

Post by Collector »

That is why I was asking. To let him know that there are solutions now.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Yes, I'm aware there are other means of playing the games, but I just want ScummVM as my main hub for playing these old classics with. :wink:

Once the games are supported it'd be a perfect excuse to replay them and test them out for bugs. :)
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Don't get me wrong Tim20, it's nice to have everything on ScummVM, but on the other hand: for you it's at most 1 hour of istalling and setting DosBox up, for ScummVM developers it's months of hard work...
Collector

Post by Collector »

Seldon wrote:Don't get me wrong Tim20, it's nice to have everything on ScummVM, but on the other hand: for you it's at most 1 hour of istalling and setting DosBox up, for ScummVM developers it's months of hard work...
Or even just a matter of minutes to have it setup automatically in DOSBox.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ers.html#G
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Collector wrote: Or even just a matter of minutes to have it setup automatically in DOSBox.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ers.html#G
For comparison to be fair, I have chosen most pessimistic scenario :D
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Is there any way to track the progress or whatever is missing? I would like to see an overview of whats missing (if that is possible). I'm talking on a code level.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

tumbleweed wrote:Is there any way to track the progress or whatever is missing? I would like to see an overview of whats missing (if that is possible). I'm talking on a code level.
The entire graphics code for SCI32 is pretty wrong. It needs to be rewritten and that's a huge amount of work. Since no one is actively working on it, there's not much to track :wink:
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

clone2727 wrote:
tumbleweed wrote:Is there any way to track the progress or whatever is missing? I would like to see an overview of whats missing (if that is possible). I'm talking on a code level.
The entire graphics code for SCI32 is pretty wrong. It needs to be rewritten and that's a huge amount of work. Since no one is actively working on it, there's not much to track :wink:
I see, thanks, I thought the remaining part was smaller after reading the comments of near completion. Sad then :'(