No Steam Scumm Game Support (And a Possible Way to Fix That)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Blooglspash

No Steam Scumm Game Support (And a Possible Way to Fix That)

Post by Blooglspash »

When I bought the Lucasarts Adventure Pack from Steam, I expected to be able to run the games through ScummVM or DOSbox instead of using Steam. But when I look through the files on the computer, I could only see part of the files needed to run these games. For example, in Fate of Atlantis, the "ATLANTIS.000" file is missing.

As I would hate to just give the ScummVM team a problem and ask them to figure it out themselves, I came up with a solution. On the Downloads page, have the missing files (and ONLY the missing files, so it wouldn't count as piracy) available for download so that people who bought the game on Steam could run it with ScummVM.

If you want, I can figure out exactly what files are missing to help.

Thanks,
Blooglspash
raina

Re: No Steam Scumm Game Support (And a Possible Way to Fix T

Post by raina »

Blooglspash wrote:On the Downloads page, have the missing files (and ONLY the missing files, so it wouldn't count as piracy)
Yeah, I don't think it works that way.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

Maybe you can find the missing files in the Steam\SteamApps Directory packed into a *.gcf or *.ncf file. Open them with PakScape and see what you can find.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

It would still be piracy because even only ONE file from a game is LA's IP and i think they will pass that matter to their lawyers faster than you can say "Three Headed Monkey"
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

See Sev's blog at: http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/07/s ... ummvm.html for more information regarding the Steam releases.
Blooglspash

Post by Blooglspash »

McKnallski wrote:Maybe you can find the missing files in the Steam\SteamApps Directory packed into a *.gcf or *.ncf file. Open them with PakScape and see what you can find.
I looked with GCFScape and the things in the NCF file were exacly the same as the files already there.
Flo

Post by Flo »

You can extract the appropriate data from the game's new executable using a hex editor to recreate the missing data file.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Flo wrote:You can extract the appropriate data from the game's new executable using a hex editor to recreate the missing data file.
moderatorial: Removing instructions on how to circumvent purposely implemented scheme to run under ScummVM.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Please do not go against our team decision. Hiding those files looks plainly like attempt to prevent ScummVM from running. We have no intentions to play with that.

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sev wrote:Please do not go against our team decision. Hiding those files looks plainly like attempt to prevent ScummVM from running. We have no intentions to play with that.
No, because they wouldn't have just embedded the file without encryption otherwise. It's extremely easy to edit the files to extract the data, not something that was designed to really stop ScummVM.

This isn't warez, it shouldn't be removed from the forums.

I brought this up on -devel when the MI:SE thread popped up and got no response. I still think we should re-evaluate our stance on this.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

clone2727 wrote:
sev wrote:Please do not go against our team decision. Hiding those files looks plainly like attempt to prevent ScummVM from running. We have no intentions to play with that.
No, because they wouldn't have just embedded the file without encryption otherwise. It's extremely easy to edit the files to extract the data, not something that was designed to really stop ScummVM.

This isn't warez, it shouldn't be removed from the forums.

I brought this up on -devel when the MI:SE thread popped up and got no response. I still think we should re-evaluate our stance on this.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!?! That's very ridiculous, really!

What is the difference to extract a file from a folder, a data-bundle, a zip-file or an exectubale?! This is NO CRACK, NO HACK, NO DECRYPTION!! This is only a copy, like from directory A to directory B.

For example: The developers of ScummVM give detailed instructions to extract and decrypt audio streams:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO ... ion_Videos
You should know you have a valid video if the file size is divisible by 2352 and starts with a byte sequence of "0x00 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0x00" (which can be easily checked using a hex editor). You should also be able to play the video using jPSXdec.
or other scripts to extract game data files:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO ... ime/Script
apprentice_fu

precaution

Post by apprentice_fu »

Lebostein wrote: WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!?! That's very ridiculous, really!
As far as I understand the position of ScummVM, they want to avoid any legal conflict with LucasArts.
This seems independent from the question if there is de jure a case against ScummVM.

LucasArts choose to release the games incompatible with ScummVM at a time when ScummVM was already well known.

(And I don't think one should bet on the benevolence of Disney)
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Other important question: Why the copy protection of MI1, MI2 and FOA has been bypassed by ScummVM? It seems that ScummvM changing the scripts (!)...

I hope the ScummVM developers have nothing to do with the ResidualVM project. To run Grim Fandango, ResidualVM needs an original .exe file from Lucas Arts (the patch). ResidualVM reads this executable and extract files from it! Very dangerous!
apprentice_fu

Post by apprentice_fu »

Lebostein wrote:Other important question: Why the copy protection of MI1, MI2 and FOA has been bypassed by ScummVM? It seems that ScummvM changing the scripts (!)...
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... protection
Lebostein wrote: I hope the ScummVM developers have nothing to do with the ResidualVM project. To run Grim Fandango, ResidualVM needs an original .exe file from Lucas Arts (the patch). ResidualVM reads this executable and extract files from it! Very dangerous!
That is just a patch that was long released before ResidualVM was born. It is not a version of the game with changed data files (probably) to prohibit ScummVM from using the data files.

[edit:]
I'd love to see the Steam games supported, but I think there are reasons not to do it.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

apprentice_fu wrote:That is just a patch that was long released before ResidualVM was born. It is not a version of the game with changed data files (probably) to prohibit ScummVM from using the data files.
What does that have to do with the age of an executable file? The author is the same company (Lucas Arts) with the same rights and duties!