touch controls for windows 8.1

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

elynch

touch controls for windows 8.1

Post by elynch »

Is there, or will there be, touch support for windows 8.1 tablets? Scummvm on my android tablet had brilliant touch controls but scummvm on my windows tablet does not seem to have the same controls. Thanks for the help and keep up the great work.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

elynch: Please see http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Windows for the current status.

AFAIK there is no specific additional support for touch input devices in the Windows port.

I don't think the Windows Porter has any Windows 8 machines.

I should point out that we are an open source project and open to anyone submitting a patch to the project to implement this... Otherwise, it _may_ get done if/when the Windows porter gets a Win 8 tablet... which may be some time.
jortlaban

not on full screen

Post by jortlaban »

controlls seem to work fine when playing in a window, but on full screen, the cursor is all over the place and not as direct input, but rather the same as the basic "mousepad" controlls for android.
Since more and more devices use touch screens, it might be a good idea to add a setting that alows the player to choose between direct or drag input.

that would also adress the weird settings locastion for the android port, that most google play users fail to find.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I assume by all over the place you are referring to the mouse input being relative rather than absolute (direct input), so you stroke the screen like a touchpad to control the mouse.

I assume that you have tried the bodged "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" checkbox for relative / absolute mode switching as listed for Android and this made no difference:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Touchscreen

Firstly, the location of that option is a bodge due to lack of platform specific options in GUI. It is intended to be fixed in the future. Patches to do this are welcomed.

Secondly, I don't know if we can support changing this anyway for Windows platforms as our mouse input comes via the libSDL v1.2 mouse API which I think only support relative mouse input via http://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_MouseMotionEvent ... I'm not sure if v1.2.15 has any support for http://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_TouchFingerEvent which would allow the absolute input. If so, then patches to add support for this would be gratefully received.
GarethP

Post by GarethP »

I've thought about this one before. Many of the later graphical adventures would actually lend themselves quite well to touch (thinking Sierra AGI with the action bar that dropped down from the top).

If it were possible to wrap something in place to map certain actions to otherwise difficult tasks to perform with a mouse it should be viable. In some games I find there is really only a couple points that hinder making them otherwise touch friendly.
Jayel

Post by Jayel »

Welp, apparently I can't post links because I'm a newb.
Let's see how I can do this...

Find any youtube video, and modify the link address so that v=L7nPIa_6x2E

There, you'll see my touch control solution and the link to the binaries in the description.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

That looks nice and efficient! Did you test it with a Coktel game? (Gobliiins, Fascination, Bargon Attack, Urban Runner, ...)
Jayel

Post by Jayel »

Thanks. I just tried Gobliiins. It seems to work alright, except all their mouse cursors seem to have different hotspots (What kind of game does that??) so for example, if I switch to "pick up" action, I have to tap slightly above the intended spot so that the bottom of the cursor image lines up with the object.
Disabling absolute positioning was a bit more playable for me.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

All of Sierra's games had different hotspots for each cursor. But Gobliiins is messed up because the touchpoint doesn't correspond to the actual hotspot. This is a problem on other touch ports as well.
Jayel

Post by Jayel »

Ah interesting. I guess ScummVM normally repositions the cursor icon so that actual coordinate aligns with the game cursor hotspot's? Just tried playing Space Quest 4 which indeed has different hotspots for each action but doesn't suffer from the same problem as Gobliiins.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It seems like in Gobliiins the actual hotspot is always at the top left of the cursor image. I honestly don't recall if this is the way it was in DOS as well or not. Actually, I'm not even sure this is limited to touch ports of ScummVM, but it's been a while since I've tried it.

EDIT: No, it seems to be correct in Windows at least. But this issue definitely is familiar. I think I ran into it on the DS port.
Jayel

Post by Jayel »

Well, it's correct in a sense that it's behaving the way it originally did in DOS, I guess. I tried Gobliiins on DOSBox (on a non-touch PC), and it seems to have the same problem. It seems a bit awkward to have to point to a spot using an arrow cursor, then when I need to pick up an object at the same spot, I have to move mouse slightly upper left after switching to the grab cursor.

Out of curiosity, I tried Space Quest 4 on DOSBox as well, and it's behaving correctly there (ie keeps the hotspot on the same physical location on the screen and moves the cursor icon instead; the same way it does in ScummVM). It's fascinating - even in early 90's, with their very first games to have switchable cursor icons, the smart folks at Sierra had already figured this UI stuff out.
bartekxyz

Post by bartekxyz »

Just try this: http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmous ... index.html

It transforms touchscreen into big multitouch touchpad with one finger tap for left button two fingers tap for right button etc.

Here you can see how it works: http://youtu.be/efDdh1iOC_8?t=22m
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Jayel wrote:Out of curiosity, I tried Space Quest 4 on DOSBox as well, and it's behaving correctly there (ie keeps the hotspot on the same physical location on the screen and moves the cursor icon instead; the same way it does in ScummVM). It's fascinating - even in early 90's, with their very first games to have switchable cursor icons, the smart folks at Sierra had already figured this UI stuff out.
Well a few SCI games (Island Of Dr. Brain, Quest For Glory 1 VGA and others) were problematic when using Wiimote/touchscreen/etc., because they set the position of the cursor - which of course doesn't work using those devices - and then immediately expect the cursor to be at that new position (and close menus etc. automatically if that's not the case).

I had to add a workaround inside ScummVM/SCI to make them work.