Sierra games don't allow speech and text at the same time.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Zakwii

Post by Zakwii »

Thank you so much for this excellent feature! I asked about the ability to display both text and speech in SQ4 a long time ago, on a forum where they did Lucas/Sierra translations. And now it's real!

King's Quest 6 CD seems to work great too. Like others have said, it'd be nice to have text for another language. Who knows, maybe one day?
Thanks again to all the ScummVM's developers.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Serious Callers Only wrote:Anyway, about the in-graphics for the 'both' button, why don't you hold a competition for a button graphic on the same style with GPL attribution? It's not like style is copyrighted or anything.
I just took a closer look at the menu code. It seems we are lucky. Sierra left code in there, that would have been shown for Non-CD versions. We only patch the CD-version of Laura Bow 2 + King's Quest 6, which means there is plenty of code space available to add another button state. Will look into that shortly.

btw. I added a few patches for King's Quest 6. It should play flawlessly in text+audio mode now. I also changed the hires portraits code and it's using the hires "rave" lip sync resources now - which means eye-blinking and even facial animations. We didn't use those resources before, because we couldn't fully figure them out.
Collector

Post by Collector »

m_kiewitz wrote:btw. I added a few patches for King's Quest 6. It should play flawlessly in text+audio mode now. I also changed the hires portraits code and it's using the hires "rave" lip sync resources now - which means eye-blinking and even facial animations. We didn't use those resources before, because we couldn't fully figure them out.
Is that in the daily build, yet?
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Collector wrote:Is that in the daily build, yet?
yes

EDIT:
m_kiewitz wrote:I just took a closer look at the menu code. It seems we are lucky. Sierra left code in there, that would have been shown for Non-CD versions. We only patch the CD-version of Laura Bow 2 + King's Quest 6, which means there is plenty of code space available to add another button state. Will look into that shortly.
I just implemented this feature.

There is now a proper "dual" mode available for LB2 + KQ6.
CD versions of Laura Bow 2 + King's Quest 6 will now always get patched.
The game menu will currently cycle between "text", "speech" and "speech". The second speech is the new dual mode.

Will inject proper graphics for that mode soon. It will then be properly labeled.

I hope those major changes don't break anything. Should be available as daily build in a few hours.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

m_kiewitz wrote:Will inject proper graphics for that mode soon. It will then be properly labeled.
This was just pushed to master.
Should be available as daily build in a few hours
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Serious Callers Only wrote:What if we do own the floppy version too, such as in some of the compilation CDs? Is there hope?
Perhaps in the future. We'll need to check what has been removed from the relevant scripts and views, and how many changes will be needed to the CD game scripts themselves to display the floppy texts. Also, we will also need to check if the texts match the speech, or if there are many major differences.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, they won't always be a carbon copy. I believe SQ4 was pretty much remade from the ground up for the CD version (so I've heard). Freddy Pharkas has tons of text removed from the game (most notably all the inventory item responses) to save time and space for voice recordings. I wouldn't doubt if there were some at least marginal differences in pretty much every CD version compared to their non-talkie floppy versions.
Avatrunei

Freddy Pharkas speech

Post by Avatrunei »

I am trying Freddy Pharkas CD version. From DOSbox there is no text option, although there is still the hanged man bar that sets the text speed.

When I run it from ScummVM however there is both text and speech (which means that the text files are still in the CD). However, in some dialogues I can see only the first text window. This happens with Will'ys intro speech, who goes on talking while only the first text box remains, and if you click to advance, the speech ends, without more boxes. For example try to LOOK at the bottles in the saloon, where the speech goes on describing the drinks's names, but these dont appear in the text box.[/b]
Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

...so my question is if there is a way to fix this :)
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I don't think there's anything you can do to fix that. It's worked that way for a while when running dual mode in ScummVM. I think it's just one of the side-effects of forcing subs and speech at the same time in a game that didn't have that functionality truly built-in.
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

I think part of the problem is that audio is going on with the speed that it has been recorded, whereas timing for text is designed otherwise. I don't know if it helps or not, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try adjusting text speed slider in game options.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

Shivers won't start with subs activated.
sztojanov

Re: Sierra games don't allow speech and text at the same time.

Post by sztojanov »

Hello there,

Any update about KQ5 text and speech at the same time? thanks for your work!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

KQ5CD will never have speech+text because there is no text in the game files.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:38 pm KQ5CD will never have speech+text because there is no text in the game files.
"Never" is a strong word. Potentially, there could be a fan made project to add subtitles for it, especially since there is text in the floppy version. I have no idea if there are dialogue changes in the CD version -- there probably are a few -- but still it wouldn't be as hard as transcribing audio like it was for say *cough* *cough* Blade Runner *cough*.