ScummVM .NET

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GarethP

Post by GarethP »

Oh, crap! I will attempt to fix that asap.

The source files should have license information in them, I made a point of including that. But the source directory I did not. Will take a look and try get it remedied asap. Am not trying to take any undue credit!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

For me, it's not really about proper credits, but mainly about following the license so that other can build upon your work, if they so choose.

Some files have no license header, like DebugManager.cs, for example.

DebugManager.cs and several other files also have broken line endings, with most lines using DOS-style ones (CR+LF), but others like the #ifdef DISABLE_TEXT_CONSOLE block, Unix-style ones (LF).

I also disagree with your usage of spaces for indenting, allowance of trailing white-space and that you use UTF-8 BOM, but that's just like my opinion, man.

And yes, I am nitpicky like that, thank you for noticing. :)
GarethP

Post by GarethP »

Nitpicking is fine by me, I'd rather have it right with criticism than wrong.

The CRLF / LF issue seems to be a VS 2013 issue. It frequently pops up asking me if I want to correct the CRLF issue (to which I say yes) and yet it keeps on coming back after a few saves.

Most of the other settings (trailing white space/UTF-8 BOM) are just taking defaults from VS. If there is a more optimal presentation I am largely open to suggestion.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

GarethP: Just my two cents... but if you really want to get a version of ScummVM ported to XBox XNA and supported over a long term, I'd suggest that a better solution would be to use. adapt or develop a tool/script to automatically convert our C++ source code to a valid C# / .NET / XNA source code.

This has the advantage that when we make changes, you can just run the tool again and review the differences. This is quicker for you and less error prone than a manual translation.

An example of the type of solution would be the HTML5/JS port using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emscripten to do a source to source translation via LLVM bitcode:
https://github.com/juj/emscripten-scummvm
scemino

Post by scemino »

Hi,

for those who are interested, I made a port in .NET of the SCUMM engine of all versions, this is available here: https://github.com/scemino/nscumm. This is 100% written in c#, the games are playables and even the music and sound are availables.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

scemino wrote:for those who are interested, I made a port in .NET of the SCUMM engine of all versions, this is available here: https://github.com/scemino/nscumm. This is 100% written in c#, the games are playables and even the music and sound are availables.
You really are crazy.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

clone2727 wrote:
scemino wrote:for those who are interested, I made a port in .NET of the SCUMM engine of all versions, this is available here: https://github.com/scemino/nscumm. This is 100% written in c#, the games are playables and even the music and sound are availables.
You really are crazy.
Crazy awesome! :) Congrats on managing to do so. What do you plan to do now?
scemino

Post by scemino »

dreammaster wrote: Crazy awesome! :) Congrats on managing to do so. What do you plan to do now?
Thank you.
I don't know yet, I have a branch for a recorder feature but it's still in progress, I have also a debugger but I'm not really satisfied, maybe I will provide a decompiler for all scripts versions...
If you have some ideas, thank you for your feedback.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

What does a user need to do to make this work on a Windows RT tablet? Is an executable available? Will this also work on a Windows 8 phone?
scemino

Post by scemino »

That's a good question...
Actually NScumm is using MonoGame and MonoGame is cross platform, it supports iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, Windows, Windows Store, Windows Phone, and PlayStation 4.
But... currently NScumm supports only Linux and Windows.
We have 2 solutions:
- pull requests porting this project to another platform are welcome
- I will probably port this project to Windows Phone but not iOS nor Android (Xamarin is not free)

Any suggestion ?
OU812

Post by OU812 »

I would love to see it ported to Windows Phone 8!! Would a Windows RT port be possible as well? Once ported, does it have to be published to th MS Store?
scemino

Post by scemino »

OK after few days of entertainment... here is a screenshot:

I develop a Universal Windows Platform (UWP), so I think it will run on Windows RT as well as Windows Phone (right?).

There is still a lot to do:
- a game launcher: a page to scan the games in your SD card
- optimize the actual code which read resources
- a better support for touch
- implements music and sounds
- test all versions

And the problem is I can only test on an emulator, I don't have any Windows Phone or tablet, so I have no guarantee that it will run on a real device ;)

Oops I forgot: for the MS store, I don't know yet, it's hard to tell, this is just the beginning, but it's not free to publish to the MS Store.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Very cool. If it's possible to test, I'll gladly lend a hand. I have a small collection of Windows 8 and 8.1 phones as well as Windows RT tablets.
scemino

Post by scemino »

OK holidays are over, here is a quick update
- game launcher: ugly but done
- optimize the actual code which read resources: done
- a better support for touch: almost done, the main menu is not accessible yet for touch devices
- implements music and sounds: :roll:

For the window store, I think I will pay a developer license, I have to find a cool editor name 8)

OU812: thank you for your support, when the game will be on the store, I will inform you.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Exciting! Thanks for the update, I look forward to trying it out.