Humongous Entertainment music ripper

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Supper

Humongous Entertainment music ripper

Post by Supper »

A while back, an acquaintance of mine asked about resource ripping programs for HE games on these forums. Since there didn't seem to be any, I wrote my own little utility for extracting the music from HE4 and DMU files. I don't know how much interest there is in this, but maybe it'll be useful to someone.

Download here -- C++ source included

See the readme for instructions, or just put the files you want to rip in the directory and run he4rip.bat. If you happen to have any of the 3DO HE games lying around, you can do the same with dmurip.bat to extract the higher-quality DMU music from those games.

These programs should work on every SCUMM HE game up to and including Backyard Basketball. I don't have any games from later than that to test it on, so it may not work for the most recent games like Backyard Basketball 2004.

If you come across any bugs or other issues, please let me know!
Supper

Post by Supper »

If anyone cares, I've rewritten this program from scratch. It now runs much faster and supports HE1 and HE2 files in addition to HE4 and DMU. Download it here.

I must say, I didn't realize quite how bad the original version was until I looked at the code again after all these months...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

One question: What's the license on this thing? The sources don't say.
Supper

Post by Supper »

The license is "if you cared enough to look at the code, do whatever you want with it". My coding skills are pretty amateur, so it's not something I'm really concerned about. Thanks for taking an interest, though.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Yeah, you should still really stick an official license to it. But IANAL, so take the following with a grain of salt.

If you don't care what others do with your code, then just put it under the terms of a permissive license, like the Choose the license that seems best (note: this is of course not an exhaustive list) to you and put the full license text into the source tree as a COPYING or LICENSE or similarly named file.

This just adds extra ensurance for everyone who does end of using your code, that this is really your intention and they won't commit by any copyright infringment by using it.
Supper

Post by Supper »

Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of keeping good practices and adhering to standards, but I'd feel very pretentious sticking a long-winded legal header on a little toy like this (although that WTFPL license is kind of tempting). I appreciate the advice, though -- I'll keep it in mind if I ever work on something more substantial.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Supper wrote:Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of keeping good practices and adhering to standards, but I'd feel very pretentious sticking a long-winded legal header on a little toy like this (although that WTFPL license is kind of tempting). I appreciate the advice, though -- I'll keep it in mind if I ever work on something more substantial.
Well, the problem is: if you *don't* make it clear it's licensed under something, then none of us can ever be sure about legally redistributing the code if we've fixed a bug, or we want to bundle your code (e.g. in tools), or many other things which a lot of people would be perfectly happy to allow, if we can't contact you to ask (which happens a lot).

A statement like "if you cared enough to look at the code, do whatever you want with it" would be good enough for me though. :)
Windows TV

i like the music ripper...but i have a question

Post by Windows TV »

I really love the Audio Ripper its really nice and more smarter then how it was done in Audacity...but are there any plans to Invert your code to make a Audio Importer?

also another question, any plans on an image ripper - the classics games should be easy but i give you luck if you try the newer games!

Thanks! :)