Lucasarts is being shut down by Disney

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

phunimator

Lucasarts is being shut down by Disney

Post by phunimator »

Sad times, but not surprised really...

What I'd really like to know is what will happen with all the existing IP? Can the SCUMMVM crew capitalise in anyway?

Would be interesting to know...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Lucasarts is being shut down by Disney

Post by eriktorbjorn »

phunimator wrote: What I'd really like to know is what will happen with all the existing IP? Can the SCUMMVM crew capitalise in anyway?
I don't know, but the pessimist in me tells me that it will all be placed next to "Song of the South" in the Disney Vault.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

I'm not sad at all, what did Lucas Arts release anyway in the Last few years? (hint: the last actual Adventure they released was Monkey Island 4, as i don't count remakes as new games)

Does this mean Disney won't release games previously licensed by Lucas Arts? I don't think so. The Lucas Arts we used to love is dead since a long time anyway, it's a different deeloper with different people.
currios

Post by currios »

I agree Lucas Arts wasn't not the Lucas Arts it use to be. But sad it is :(
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Be great if Disney used the assets to create a feature animated film of Day of the Tentacle or something along those lines :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

JamesWoodcock wrote:Be great if Disney used the assets to create a feature animated film of Day of the Tentacle or something along those lines :)
Rather an animated series to milk the cow
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Raziel wrote:
JamesWoodcock wrote:Be great if Disney used the assets to create a feature animated film of Day of the Tentacle or something along those lines :)
Rather an animated series to milk the cow
I would actually think a DoTT animated series could work, if done right.

It would certainly make more sense than the Maniac Mansion live action television series. ;)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, is it that bad? Did you really expect LucasArts to launch a new graphic adventure? And even if they did, would you expect it to have the same high quality as Daedalic, 13 years after Escape from Monkey Island has been published?
The next PotC-film will be titled "Jack Sparrow versus LeChuck"