Zak McKracken Amiga version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

slx

Zak McKracken Amiga version

Post by slx »

Is the ScummVM runs the Amiga version of Zak McKracken?
If yes, how can it do this?

I found somewhere on the net that the ScummVM runs the Commodore64 version of Zak McKracken if the user names the disks to zak1.d64 and zak2.d64.

Please, help me out!
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

To run Amiga games in ScummVM, you need to extract the files from the disk.

In order to read and extract files from the amiga disk format on Windows, you have to use a program like ADF Opus.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

JenniBee wrote:To run Amiga games in ScummVM, you need to extract the files from the disk.

In order to read and extract files from the amiga disk format on Windows, you have to use a program like ADF Opus.
But to be able to use .adf files you first have to convert the disks to .adf and i'm not sure there are easy ways to read amiga formatted disks on pcs...?

Could be wrong though
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Amiga Forever has a list of ways for you to do this, which require you to hook up an Amiga computer or disk drive to your PC.

The computer method seems the easiest since it's done by common cables, either through an ethernet cable (depending on if your Amiga has an ethernet port), or via a null-modem serial cable (depending on if your PC has a serial port).
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

JenniBee wrote:The computer method seems the easiest since it's done by common cables, either through an ethernet cable (depending on if your Amiga has an ethernet port), or via a null-modem serial cable (depending on if your PC has a serial port).
Yeah, that's what I did years ago (like a decade ago), used a null-modem cable. Although I used a parallel cable (printer cable) and not a serial cable. Extremely slow transfer, but it worked just fine.
slx

Post by slx »

Thank you very much all of you for your help!
I've got the game in adf format (and on original Amiga disks too).
I opened the adf files but how can I put all files in a same directory? There are a lot of same files on the two disks.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

slx wrote:Thank you very much all of you for your help!
I opened the adf files but how can I put all files in a same directory? There are a lot of same files on the two disks.
For Zak McKraken, you can safely ovewrite duplicate files - they're the same, just spanned over several disks
slx

Post by slx »

There are two same files on the two disks in the \room directory.
But I left the info file from the disk one and the scummvm recognized the room folder as Zak! :D
And IT WORKS!!! :D
But the music and animation in the intro too fast, just like the c64 version on 1.5.0!
BUT IT WORKS!!! :D
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
I don't know why but the c64 and the Amiga versions are my favorite!
:D
slx

Post by slx »

md5 wrote:
slx wrote:Thank you very much all of you for your help!
For Zak McKraken, you can safely ovewrite duplicate files - they're the same, just spanned over several disks
Thanks! I selected the room directory only and the scummvm recognized it! :D
slx

Post by slx »

The sound and animation problems are not only in the intro exist (just like in the c64 version)!
When you use the e.g. golf club on the bus the door of the bus opens too fast (almost instantly), etc...
AND the problem on the Mars EXISTS in the Amiga version too!
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

slx wrote:The sound and animation problems are not only in the intro exist (just like in the c64 version)!
When you use the e.g. golf club on the bus the door of the bus opens too fast (almost instantly), etc...
AND the problem on the Mars EXISTS in the Amiga version too!
I believe those problems have been there since forever, I'm surprised they haven't been fixed yet...

I wonder what's causing them. It's like the programmers assumed that nobody would play this game in faster CPUs, and those scenes just used the computer's full speed regardless of what it was.