MI2 - Skeleton dance scene issue

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hmm... Just replicated this with my MI2 with Audio CD MP3 tracks, rather than MIDI. I used the shortcut described by fingolfin in the linked bug, which is expanded here:
1) Enter the debugger (CTRL-F5) and type "room 56".
2) Take the oar from the wall
3) Enter the debugger (CTRL-F5) again and type "room 60".
4) Plug the oar into the second hole on the tree
5) Step up on the plank to trigger the dance sequence.
6) Endless loop after music stops :/

dizzo: Please file a bug on this in the bug tracker... I will look at running some basic checks and then doing a git bisection to locate when this was broken and if it is a stable breakage.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

digitall wrote:Hmm... Just replicated this with my MI2 with Audio CD MP3 tracks, rather than MIDI.
I didn't know such a version existed. (The closest I've seen was a CD with both MI1 and MI2, with audio tracks for MI1.)
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

eriktorbjorn: Sorry, you may be right there. It is the Virgin White Label UK Release of MI and MI2 on the same CD with audio tracks. I was under the impression they were shared music used by both, but I'm not an expert on SCUMM/IMUSE so you are probably correct.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

digitall wrote:The general workaround is to have a savegame just before the dance and to reload if the dance locks up, which only occurs some of the time.
Doesn't hitting escape work?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Yes... to skip the lockup, but the paper with the lyrics doesn't appear to get added to your inventory if you do that.

Frankly, this appears to be a regression of some kind and needs some bisection tracing down to see when it was introduced.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

digitall wrote:Yes... to skip the lockup, but the paper with the lyrics doesn't appear to get added to your inventory if you do that.
It's been ages since I played the game, but isn't the paper already in your inventory when you get to that point? Or do you mean the writing doesn't appear on it?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hmm... Possibly. Not sure what the item number is for the blank paper. Would probably be best to try to test this from a boot param point... Is 669 the closest? http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Boot_ ... 7s_Revenge
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Ah. The relevant boot param is 675, so "./scummvm -b 675 monkey2" can be used, but shows _NO_ replication.

Also, when the lockup occurs, the skeleton's speech is not displayed... I suspect the relevant scripts here will need some investigation to work out what the difference is here in the game state which causes this lockup.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

digitall wrote:Yes... to skip the lockup, but the paper with the lyrics doesn't appear to get added to your inventory if you do that.
Sure it does, that's why it's never been a big issue.

If you ever want to replicate it easily, just use ctrl+g to speed up the game.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

When I was working on that script for my Ultimate Talkie Edition beta, I noticed that it could also hang on the original DOS version, although it is rare on DOS and happens far more frequently in ScummVM. Obviously, this script is not written very well. I rewrote huge sections of the script in order to ensure stable timing, even on slow machines.
I would not recommend replicating my script in ScummVM right now though, as I have reported that the timing after the dance is not perfect in my version yet. Investigating that is on my todo list.
A workaround patch implemented into ScummVM seems a good solution to me though, like it was already done on other problem scenes.
pauliusz

Post by pauliusz »

I also bumped into this bug on my LG Nexus 5. I copied savegame to PC and there everything was OK. Copied back savegame after this scene and finished game.
Savegame to reproduce: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=659 ... 3577784635
NekoBoiNeo

Re: MI2 - Skeleton dance scene issue

Post by NekoBoiNeo »

Hey ^^ I don't mean to dredge up an old thread but I came across this bug on a rather new nightly build of ScummVM so I gather it still must be kicking about? :P anywho I had the command window up while I was playing and noticed that I had these error messages after the bug happens

WARNING: Unrecognized base tag 0x534f5520 in sound 1!
WARNING: Unrecognized base tag 0x534f5520 in sound 62!

Any help to anyone? If not no harm in more data :)