Scumm 1.5.0 on iPad 4 iOS 6

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

I had to do a cydia re install, reboot started from scratch. It's actually worked now. It's boots up and says 1.6git now. Of course the audio mp3 ogg doesn't work, it still works well with sci Sierra games like kq6 now.

Also that annoying mouse off alignment issue is fixed with your build.

Thanks again , I don't know what I was doing before but something must have gotten changed so when i rebooted , i installed it from cydia then copied the file to the stash directory apps to overwrite the old one. Worked fine then. I used funbox to do it, perhaps i was doing it wrong in ifile.

It's a shame the mp3 and such dont work, but now that you fixed the problem will the ogg support be available on any upcoming build?

So everyone that's having trouble i would recommend a fresh re install. You have to put your ipad in dfu (press power and home for 10 secs then release power while holding home) then i tunes will try to restore.

I had to do it twice because the first time it didnt do anything. But it did factory erase after a second attempt. It's possible evasi0n boot stuff was interfering.

A bit extreme i know,but it works. Isn't it curious that i was about to reset it anyways, and it just happens to fix the problem!
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

I noticed something odd, its not your build its happened a year ago on my old ipad 3 also. When mouse click and drag is disabled ( press on screen then use other finger and move down to up to change) which is the default setting when I right click too fast my mouse always goes up to the top bar. Pausing the game and jerking my mouse cursor. But when mouse click and drag is enabled i can scroll through the icons by right clicking very fast. But setting it in that mode also is hard cause the mouse is auto clicked, when you press the screen it clicks it instead of moving the mouse around.

Its works but i have to right click slowly with click and drag disabled. And it's frustrating. I tried it with sq1 VGA, kq6, and conquest of longbow. All same.

I appreciate everything for the working build though! It's awsome. I wanted to let you know for the next build you can incorporate a fix for that. Give it a try on your ios 4 right click fast and you will see the mouse jumps to the top selection bar.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Ravippe wrote:I appreciate everything for the working build though! It's awsome. I wanted to let you know for the next build you can incorporate a fix for that. Give it a try on your ios 4 right click fast and you will see the mouse jumps to the top selection bar.
That's because double tap another sends an ESC, which opens up the menu in SCI. So it is kind of expected behavior. I agree that it isn't the best way for SCI games, but the whole input handling on iOS needs some work. This will probably take longer though.
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

Mm that's interesting. I never understood why that was. Thanks for explaining it. Too bad it's not a simple fix. Well for now ill do my best with scumm, but if the mouse thing gets too wacky i got dosbox.
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

My real dream is to get scumm working on some type of tablet, with mt 32 audio.

Are you planning to incorporate the munt/mt 32 emulation or even general midi into an iPhone/ipad port? I was thinking anything above an ipad 3 should be able to handle it. I hope i know it can be demanding.I love the sound, and it doesn't make sence to hook up my ipad to a Roland mt 32 device when I can just go to my computer and use scumm that way.

I tried it on the surface pro tablet and it was good, but too many issues, no right click, full screen freezes, windows 8 stuff. But the sound worked!
octopus

Post by octopus »

LordHoto wrote: Please note that this is purely for testing whether ScummVM actually runs on your devices now.
It works on my iPad 4 with 6.1.
Tried Future Wars.
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

Thank you team for Doing a very good job with scumm. W all appreciate getting the fix, and im sure in the future we will see some great GUI enhancements for ipad!

On a side note i would like to talk to everyone here a little about dospad. I know that scumm is great, but there are some awsome features on dospad i didn't realize would actually work on my ipad!

I know this is off topic a bit, but after spending something like 5 hours researching, and troubleshooting i found a very good solution to all you people that like your old games. I honestly think scumm is better suited for computers, and dospad is simply a better choice for the ipad. I prefer scumm on my PC, but its not really making my ipad games happy! For some reason dospad default cfg file is very restricted, almost like you have to know how to edit it. So i am posting this to help you. Try a game you like see if you find it looking better!

I finally got to render all my dos games in hq3x or Supersai or super eagle, whatever filter you want.

In your dospad.cfg file replace the old one with these settings
Then run the program, thats all!

Notice these entries
scaler=hq3x

And

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=20

You can change the scaler to whatever type you prefer.

The sound i also increased to better quality 44100 but noticed a but of a studder on the sound, so i changed the prebuffer from 10 to 20.

Now sound and video works great on my ipad on all my old sci games. And my mouse touch pad is fantastic.

Playing indiana and the fate of Atlantis in hq3x is awsome. Here's the cfg file

[dosbox]
memsize=16
[sblaster]
#sbtype=none
[cpu]
# Try core=dynamic to improvement performance
# however, it doesn't always work.
# so we are using simple core by default
core=dynamic

[mixer]
# nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device’s rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
# Possible values: 22050, 44100, 48000, 32000, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
# Possible values: 2048, 4096, 8192, 1024, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=20

[midi]
# mpu401 — Enable MPU-401 Emulation.
# intelligent — Operate in Intelligent mode.
# device — Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config — Special configuration options for the device. In Windows put
# the id of the device you want to use. See README for details.

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=coremidi
midiconfig=

[gus]
# Uncomment to enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
#gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
#pcspeaker=false

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn’t support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes. If ‘forced’ is appended,the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
# Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

[joystick]
joysticktype=2axis

[gamepad.keybinding]
button0=CTRL,CTRL
button1=ALT,ALT
button2=SPC,SPACE
button3=ENTR,ENTER
button4=ESC,ESC
button5=F1,F1
Ravippe

Post by Ravippe »

I would actually use hq2x scaler, in portrait mode lots of games look chopped off. Hq3x is too large. I compared all the scalers and i like this one the best.
J.Anrugas

Post by J.Anrugas »

I don't tested it but for all iPad 4 and iPhone 5 owner with an 'illegal instruction 4' problem -> please have a look here: http://iphonesdkdev.blogspot.de/2013/02 ... ion-4.html
Doofdilla

Post by Doofdilla »

J.Anrugas wrote:I don't tested it but for all iPad 4 and iPhone 5 owner with an 'illegal instruction 4' problem -> please have a look here: http://iphonesdkdev.blogspot.de/2013/02 ... ion-4.html
Very nice finding! It actually works!

I now have the official iOS .deb file working on my iPad4.

(I patched it on the device itself, like described in the link above)

Thank you again for your post.

regards
DoofDilla
Davic

Post by Davic »

Doofdilla wrote:
J.Anrugas wrote:I don't tested it but for all iPad 4 and iPhone 5 owner with an 'illegal instruction 4' problem -> please have a look here: http://iphonesdkdev.blogspot.de/2013/02 ... ion-4.html
Very nice finding! It actually works!

I now have the official iOS .deb file working on my iPad4.

(I patched it on the device itself, like described in the link above)

Thank you again for your post.

regards
DoofDilla

Please, can you explain how to do that? It's necesary to install any packages on the ipad? I don't understand the instructions at all...
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

Yes please. I'm so desperate trying to play my old Lucasarts games. I'm at the point where I would pay. A lot of money to make Scumm VM work on my ipad 4 or iphone 5. please could anybody help? Thanks again Scumm VM Team for all your hard work.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I have applied that illegal instruction workaround to our development (master) branch port file to build a second binary into the IPhone package for IPhone 5 / IPad 4.

After the next automated build, http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/m ... st.tar.bz2 will contain ScummVM.app/ScummVM-iph5 which must replace the ScummVM.app/ScummVM binary for IPhone 5 and IPad 4 operation.

This is a temporary solution until the IPhone porter can look at a way of updating the toolchain to produce a binary to work on all generations of IPhone or until we can provide two release packages for this.
bonewire

Post by bonewire »

Ok, sorry I'm confused. :)

I download this and then do what exactly? Also I don't understand what you mean with "after the next automated build..." Do I have to wait for the next update on cydia until I can apply the files from your post?

Sorry I'm no programmer and am maybe too stupid or it's my flu right now that prevents me from getting your post.

Thanks in advance
octopus

Post by octopus »

bonewire, you download it, replace the existent ScummVM.app, check the rights to be 755, remove “ScummVM” (executable) and rename “ScummVM-iph5” to “ScummVM” (without quotation marks). Voilà!