Typos in game text?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

counting_pine

Typos in game text?

Post by counting_pine »

Hi,
I was wondering if ScummVM had a general policy on fixing typos in game data text? (I think it's been discussed, but I can't remember if a verdict was reached. I know about the infamous "Choas" case, but in general I can imagine it might not be desirable to litter the source code with trivial text corrections.)

Anyway, I'm bringing it up because I happened to spot a couple of "it's" typos in Monkey 2, and I was considering filing a bug report.

I suspect that if we looked hard enough we may end up finding quite a few similar errors throughout the back catalogue of supported games. I had a quick look at the Monkey VGA strings, and found one there too without too much effort.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Typos in game text?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

counting_pine wrote: I was wondering if ScummVM had a general policy on fixing typos in game data text? (I think it's been discussed, but I can't remember if a verdict was reached. I know about the infamous "Choas" case, but in general I can imagine it might not be desirable to litter the source code with trivial text corrections.)
If there is, I haven't heard it. I remember being hesitant about fixing the "Choas" one, but eventually decided that once you had seen the typo (and I didn't the first times I played the game) it actually distracted from what should be a very dramatic point in the narrative.