Discworld I compression

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ingsoc

Discworld I compression

Post by Ingsoc »

I'm trying to compress the speech from my Discworld I CD (English talkie with Hebrew subtitles), the file is ENGLISH.SMP. After I'm enter it in the compression wizard of the ScummVM tools I'm getting this message:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7206 ... mpress.jpg

I don't know how to proceed from there and compress the file.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

First of all, update your tools program.

Second, that is the help output for the command line compression tool, which you shouldn't have to worry about if you're using the gui, since it does most things for you.

Just open the tools, click Compress, choose the file you want to compress (usually English.smp for Discworld), click next,choose the output directory and compression format, and you should be set.
Ingsoc

Post by Ingsoc »

KuroShiro wrote:First of all, update your tools program.
The 1.4.0 version of the tools is what available to download on the download page.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I know there have been cases where the command-line options for the "lame" MP3 encoder have changed slightly, breaking the ScummVM compression tools. Could that be the case here? (I assume "lame" still has to be installed separately, though I haven't really kept up with the ScummVM compression tools lately.)

By the way, there is a slight bug (which should be fixed in the development version of the tools) which causes the first of the sounds in the compressed file not to be played. In Discworld 1, that's the first line of text spoken when Rincewind wakes up. In Discworld 2, I don't know which line it is.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The tool to compress Discworld speech needs two input files (the smp and the idx files). So after selecting the first file which is used to detect which tool to use, it displays a second page to select additional files that are needed. This is the page you see but because the help text is too long you don't see the file selector below. If you have a very big screen you might be able to resize the window big enough to see it and continue. Otherwise for now the only solution will be to use the command line tool.

I have just fixed this issue, and it will be included in the next tool release we do.
Ingsoc

Post by Ingsoc »

criezy wrote:The tool to compress Discworld speech needs two input files (the smp and the idx files). So after selecting the first file which is used to detect which tool to use, it displays a second page to select additional files that are needed. This is the page you see but because the help text is too long you don't see the file selector below. If you have a very big screen you might be able to resize the window big enough to see it and continue. Otherwise for now the only solution will be to use the command line tool.

I have just fixed this issue, and it will be included in the next tool release we do.
Thanks! I change the resolution and now I could see it :P

However after I enter the files (the first is ENGLISH.smp and the second is ENGLISH.idx) the program finish successfully to process them, for some reason no file appear at my output directory.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Ingsoc wrote:However after I enter the files (the first is ENGLISH.smp and the second is ENGLISH.idx) the program finish successfully to process them, for some reason no file appear at my output directory.
I don't have Discworld myself but I had a quick look at the source code for this tool and it ignores the output directory. Instead it creates two files, compressed.idx and compressed.smp, in whatever is considered to be the current directory (e.g. it might be where your ScummVM Tools executable is). So look around on your computer and you should find those two files somewhere.

And I will change the code to use the output directory.
Ingsoc

Post by Ingsoc »

criezy wrote: I don't have Discworld myself but I had a quick look at the source code for this tool and it ignores the output directory. Instead it creates two files, compressed.idx and compressed.smp, in whatever is considered to be the current directory (e.g. it might be where your ScummVM Tools executable is). So look around on your computer and you should find those two files somewhere.

And I will change the code to use the output directory.
Thanks again! It was indeed in my tools directory.

It's seem to work fine with the exception of the bug eriktorbjorn mention.