Must play adventures,which are NOT from LA or Sierra?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Captain Peepcoot

Post by Captain Peepcoot »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I sense sarcasm....?
Did sarcasm soak into me so much that it flows out even when I'm being serious? :o I havent heard of BTTF game before. I'm not a very up-to-date person.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Ah. I thought you may have been sarcastic about the fact that BTTF is an adventure game at all. ;)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Granted, BTTF is not a very hard or complex game, but an adventure throughout, if you asked me. Games based on movies are usually just some boring shooter or platformer, but not this one. I liked the story, the acting, the graphics. All that together makes a well designed game, imho.
Merely the quality of the (optional) German dubbing is much lower compared to the movies.
Btw., there is a demo version for PS3.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Interplay's Star Trek games, 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, are quite fun if you're into that sort of thing, and can overlook their obvious flaws. (The first one has obvious flaws at least. I haven't played the second one in a few years.)
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

If you don't mind platformer style controls and an inventory system of just one item per character at a time, The Cave is a really great game.

It's developed by Double Fine and made by Ron Gilbert (co-creator of Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 1&2). It is very similar to Maniac Mansion in many ways. You choose three characters from a group of seven, each with their own unique abilities. This leads to multiple stories and multiple endings.

The puzzles are some of the best designed I've played in a long time. They're much more challenging than Telltale's puzzles, and lean more towards the challenge of the puzzles from the LucasArts games (although there's no maddening puzzles like the monkey wrench puzzle in Monkey Island 2 or the signpost puzzle in Grim Fandango).
Captain Peepcoot

Post by Captain Peepcoot »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Granted, BTTF is not a very hard or complex game, but an adventure throughout, if you asked me. Games based on movies are usually just some boring shooter or platformer, but not this one. I liked the story, the acting, the graphics. All that together makes a well designed game, imho.
Merely the quality of the (optional) German dubbing is much lower compared to the movies.
Btw., there is a demo version for PS3.
I started playing BTTF and it's a wonderful experience, I feel like I'm in the movie! Even my brother seemed really into it and he's not a big BTTF fan. Also, they did great work recreating the characters. Marty's voice seems a bit weird at first, but after a while it fits perfectly.
Games based on movies are usually just some boring shooter or platformer
So true, unfortunately.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

If you like typing, I can highly recommend the adventures from Legend Entertainment.

Gateway for example :)
dowoshek

Post by dowoshek »

The Neverhood - it's masterpiece, they don't do games this way anymore becuase it's too time-consuming (read: much work little profit). It's old but installs and runs fine at Win XP.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

I can suggest "Machinarium", I played it last summer and I can tell it's a great game. Graphics are awesome, music is ok and the gameplay works with an unusual comic-dialogues: no text at all! So, even if you can find it in localized versions, buy the international release anyway, since the language will never be an issue. You can find it on GOG.
Also, "Eye Of The Kracken" is a funny free game with investigation and humour, about a stolen jewel on a boat. It's available in several languages, but I can't remember the site ATM.
"5 days a stranger" is a great one man job (made with AGS, IIRC) you can solve in a single night but believe, it's worth while. It sometimes feels a bit like Maniac Mansion (because of the setting) but without any humour. It's free too, localized in several languages and it won several awards.
The creator of the Sludge engine created a demonstration game which is a bombshell full of humour and some quotes, it's called "Out Of Order". Free game, english only. And it will require several days in order to solve it.
An italian team of gamers created "La terribile minaccia degli invasori dall'audiogalassia" (eng: the terrible menace of the invaders from audiogalaxy) a flash game which anyone can play online on their site www.genereavventura.com This game is a funny story full of quotes from movies and other games too (fun is also catching all of them!) I played it in italian (the game was born for italian gamers), I know there is an english version also but I don't know the quality of the translation. If you're comfortable with italian, I suggest you to play it in its native language.
Already named games: Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Broken Sword (which I'm currently playing) and my next challenge will be Sanitarium for sure.
Have fun!