Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - DIFFERENT BUILDS?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nilsbyte

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - DIFFERENT BUILDS?

Post by nilsbyte »

Hello Community!

I recently acquired all the great LucasArts adventures in it's original versions. Among all others i got 2 copies of INDY4 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. One is the talkie version sold in the original big box, the other is the compilation of INDY3 and INDY4 in the "White Label" release, which is also the talkie version. I ran a CRC check on the two releases to see if there are any differences, and YES THERE ARE. I only don't know WHY.

Here a screenshot of the comparison. Left side is the original, right side the white label release

As you can see, the original release lacks a SOUNDBLAS.IMS and the other 3 IMS files are different. What is the purpose of this files? Is it bad that one is missing in the original? Which consequences does that have for playing?

Any information would be appreciated.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - DIFFERENT BUILD

Post by eriktorbjorn »

nilsbyte wrote: As you can see, the original release lacks a SOUNDBLAS.IMS and the other 3 IMS files are different. What is the purpose of this files? Is it bad that one is missing in the original? Which consequences does that have for playing?
I could be wrong, but I think they're drivers for various sound hardware. (ScummVM doesn't use these files.)
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Yes these are sound drivers.

The older Lucasarts adventure games had command flags that would allow you to enforce different sound standards.

For example

MONKEY.EXE i would be the PC speaker, MONKEY.EXE a would be Adlib and MONKEY.EXE r for roland.

It seems that the later version has the speech driver (for the talkie part) integrated, rather than an external SOUNDBLAS.IMS.

I'd play the newer version, likely has fewer bugs / IQ system?
nilsbyte

Post by nilsbyte »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:Yes these are sound drivers.

The older Lucasarts adventure games had command flags that would allow you to enforce different sound standards.

For example

MONKEY.EXE i would be the PC speaker, MONKEY.EXE a would be Adlib and MONKEY.EXE r for roland.

It seems that the later version has the speech driver (for the talkie part) integrated, rather than an external SOUNDBLAS.IMS.

I'd play the newer version, likely has fewer bugs / IQ system?

Thanks for the answer. So this are a kind of compatibility drivers for different sound cards. If ScummVM does not need them, how is it with DOSBox? If the

The game data files of the newer files are identical to the older. so i think there are no bug fixes ;-)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Seems like one of the two versions includes updated drivers. You can find all updates for Atlantis, including sound driver updates here:
http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/indy-fate.html
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

md5 wrote:Seems like one of the two versions includes updated drivers. You can find all updates for Atlantis, including sound driver updates here:
http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/indy-fate.html
While I can't say I like what Lucasarts have become, it is rather impressive they still have patches up for games that are two decades old :)