Dirty question regarding SCI

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Dirty question regarding SCI

Post by Serious Callers Only »

I'd like to do a small hack.

The Gabriel Knight 1 sins of the fathers intro screen was 'updated' on the CD version from this:

to this:

Need i say more? I'd like to replace it. Possible?
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

Its quite possible, I just tried it using SCI Resource Dumper 1.2.2.

You take the RESOURCE.000 and RESOURCE.MAP from your floppy-version and put them in the same folder as SCIResDump.exe. Open up a CMD and go to the folder where the resource-files and SCIResDump.exe are.
Enter "SCIResDump /m3 /v3 /p3 /h /nRESOURCE.000 RESOURCE.MAP -1".
This will dump everything in the resource.000 into individual files. Copy the files 100.v56 and 100.p56, place them inside the folder called PATCHES in the folder where you have the CD-version of Gabriel Knight.

Doing this gave me the old floppy-disk selection screen and not the new one when I ran it in ScummVM.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Thank you for the complete answer. Question: does it also work in dosbox (is it a native capability of SCI or is it just a scummvm one?)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Serious Callers Only wrote:Thank you for the complete answer. Question: does it also work in dosbox (is it a native capability of SCI or is it just a scummvm one?)
Yes, these are external resource patches. The functionality to replace internal game resources with external ones exists in both the original SCI interpreters and ScummVM. v56 and p56 are 256 color pictures/views (game sprites) and their respective palettes
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

I just tried it under DosBox and that method did not work, the game was complaining about bad compression.
But I did get it to work under DosBox when using SCI Resource Viewer instead to extract the 100.p56 and 100.v56-files.

I'm guessing ScummVM isnt as picky as the original interpreter at some points.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

edit: didn't see the post above

Strangely it worked (from a git compile, since the ubuntu repos don't have SCI enable) when adding the DOS CD version, but not with the Windows CD version (they have the same entry on the detection tables and come from the same install). Also the game run on dosbox doesn't show the new version.

Since the thing was installed with the SHP installer, probably something is fubared anyway on the resource.cfg so it's not so surprising. (What did get changed was the cursor icon, from that violet to the floppy version orange, but i suppose that is the 100.V56 file)

Does the windows version use a different resource?
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Zeith wrote:I just tried it under DosBox and that method did not work, the game was complaining about bad compression.
But I did get it to work under DosBox when using SCI Resource Viewer instead to extract the 100.p56 and 100.v56-files.

I'm guessing ScummVM isnt as picky as the original interpreter at some points.
Which commandly line option did you use to extract (i assume it was the CLI Resources.exe, since the GUI program doesn't export stuff).
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

The GUI does support extracting, its just not so clear.

You have to mark "View" in the left tree and get a list of views in the right window. Move to the resource you want (100.v56 in this case), mark it and right-click to extract.
Do the same for 100.p56.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Maybe i'm using the wrong program.

I'm using the one at this link:
http://sierrahelp.com/SCI/Wiki/index.ph ... rce_Viewer

This one;
http://sierrahelp.com/SCI/Wiki/index.ph ... Dumper_1.2

Which is maybe the one you want, crashed wine.
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Either wine is failing or that is a different version. The only one i can find is version 'SV version 1' (from the help), and the title in wine is only 'SV' and it doesn't have the '+' in the tree widget
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

This is the version I'm using and is in the picture http://sci.sierrahelp.com/Files/SCITool ... _(CLI).zip
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Lol the CLI version includes a different GUI version.

But no, that didn't help unfortunately. The game never did output a error in dosbox, just refused to change if placed on the patches dir.

dosbox DOS version does not work
Windows version does the same in scummvm
scummvm DOS version works.

Maybe the paths are screwed in RESOURCE.CFG?
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

I got the line "patchDir=C:\SIERRA\GKCD;D:;D:\patches" in my resource.cfg
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

audio = .\;.\sfx;.\patches;.\aud
sync = .\aud
movieDir = .\seq
patchDir = .\;.\patches

This from the SHP installer. I will try to reverse the patchDir line, though it shouldn't make any difference since the files are not on .
edit: nope.