How to take Screenshots in ScummVM?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CrisGer

How to take Screenshots in ScummVM?

Post by CrisGer »

I tried to take screenies in Broken Sword I with Fraps but nothing. Is there a macro for taking them built in? i read somewhere in the forum i htink that alt plus S took them but i cant find them in the scummVm folder...

can anyone help? thanks

or is there another software than fraps that will take them?

thanks i dont want to have to scren capture and alt tab out and paste each time if possible.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

ScummVM saves them as scummvm(screenshotnumber).bmp
e.g scummvm00001.bmp

search for that file name and it should show you where they were sent to.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

bingo, there they are. thanks so much.

I did not see the bmp :) much appreciated. Lovely.

cheers, back to Paris. :)
Kloppstock

Post by Kloppstock »

CrisGer wrote:bingo, there they are. thanks so much.

I did not see the bmp :) much appreciated. Lovely.

cheers, back to Paris. :)
Where thei in system-drive or in scummvm folder drive?

sounds like it was not fraps who did it anyhow, so what button are you guys referering to here? :)
im sitting here with a microsoft multimedia keyboard and i have not found my screenshots yet, have some button alternatives to start with..im not even sure i have pressed right buttons and accually saved a pic

print(F12,) print screen (own button), save (F11)

and a 4 alternative X3, shall i have the wery-un-usefull
f-lock button enabled while i press one of the above buttons?
Last edited by Kloppstock on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

Kloppstock wrote:so what button are you guys referering to here? :)
Alt-s - Make a screenshot (SDL backend only)

if you can't find the resulting screenshot you could try searching for scummvm*.bmp on your system
Kloppstock

Post by Kloppstock »

clem wrote:
Kloppstock wrote:so what button are you guys referering to here? :)
Alt-s - Make a screenshot (SDL backend only)

if you can't find the resulting screenshot you could try searching for scummvm*.bmp on your system
How odd, Alt and letter s?

what does SDL backened mean?
clem

Post by clem »

Kloppstock wrote: How odd, Alt and letter s?

what does SDL backened mean?
Yes, hold down [Alt], then push [s].

SDL backend means that ScummVM uses the SDL library to display things on screen/output sound (it's comparable to parts of DirectX, but it's opensource and available for more platforms). Some of the platforms ScummVM runs on don't have SDL available for them, so the ScummVM ports need to access the hardware directly - and since the screenshot saving is done via SDL it won't work the same way on those ports. A list is available here.

(that line about Alt-s and the SDL backend was pasted straight from the ScummVM readme btw)
Kloppstock

Post by Kloppstock »

tnks, ok now everybody knows that the screenshots are landing in your scummvm directory
marticus

Post by marticus »

Kloppstock wrote:tnks, ok now everybody knows that the screenshots are landing in your scummvm directory
Oh no, the secret's out.
Henrique_copa

Post by Henrique_copa »

I still can't find the screenshots folder! I've done a lot of Alt+S, and I see in the DOS screen that my screenshots are being saved somewhere, but I can't find them! I already tried searching for "scummvm00001.bmp" but my computer can't find any kind of file! Help me!
Kurufinwe

Post by Kurufinwe »

ScummVM tries to save the screenshots in its own directory. If you're on Windows 7 (and Vista?) with UAC on (and ScummVM is installed in Program Files), that's not allowed and they will get redirected to

Code: Select all

C&#58;\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files &#40;x86&#41;\ScummVM
(without the x86 part on 32-bit systems)
Henrique_copa

Post by Henrique_copa »

[quote="Kurufinwe"]ScummVM tries to save the screenshots in its own directory. If you're on Windows 7 (and Vista?) with UAC on (and ScummVM is installed in Program Files), that's not allowed and they will get redirected to
[code]C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ScummVM[/code]
(without the x86 part on 32-bit systems)[/quote]

Oh, there they are! Thank you so much, man!
windyliang

Post by windyliang »

The same question I want to ask! I also need the help!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

windyliang wrote:The same question I want to ask! I also need the help!
Did you read the above posts for help?
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I'm having problems with screenshots from a single game. I'll paste what I posted on Moby Games:
[game: "Pajama Sam: You Are What You Eat from Your Head to Your Feet"]
"As usual, no original version, this is the Scumm VM-compatible version without exe files. However, unlike in other games prepared to be run in Scumm VM, I can't run it through D-Fend Reloaded. There is even no error message, the program just behaves as if there was nothing clickable - it just doesn't do anything at all when I try to run this game's profile.

I CAN run it in "raw" Scumm VM, but here's the problem. You know I'm childish when it comes to screenshot collection... and it was in vain. Since the game wasn't opened through D-Fend Reloaded, the usual Alt-S capture keys didn't work. I had to capture screenshots with Irfan View, first storing them in a folder I use for capturing screenshots from non-DOS games (or, more precisely, those that can't be run with either DFR-DOSBox or DFR-Scumm - mostly Windows-based ones such as Dizzy AGE fan games). OK, I did it... but when I try to put them into the game's DFR "Capture" folder, they just don't appear. I can't even import files - when I right-click the area where screenshots should be visible, every single option is gray. How can I run the game through DFR or make the screenshot folder recognizable for the profile as in all other games?
The titles in DFR and in "folder tree" or how is it called aren't identical ("Pajama Sam: You Are What You Eat..." vs. "Pajama Sam You Are What You Eat" - the program just removes punctuation), but that's also the case with some other games and has never lead to any such problems. "

Why is this game my only Scumm VM game not working through DFR and the only game at all not to "connect" to its own screenshot folder? I'm very disappointed not to have them "handy"...