WME Testing: Chivalry is not dead.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

WME Testing: Chivalry is not dead.

Post by somaen »

As I've been a bit busy the past few months, the Wintermute-engine port for ScummVM hasn't seen as much progress as I would have liked, but I still think it's time to get the ball rolling a bit again:

One of the games I tested against this summer was Chivalry is not dead. So far I haven't had any issues with this game, BUT, this game is also very open-ended, and thus a bit hard to test thoroughly.

Thus any help testing this game would be greatly appreciated.

Just grab a copy of the game from the link above, and a nightly build of ScummVM, and test the game. Report any issues to the ScummVM Bug-Tracker, in the group "Wintermute". I would also love to hear in this thread if you played through the game without any issues at all.

Note: Chivalry uses the Arial-font currently, which we haven't yet worked around (eventually a similar FreeFont will be used), so to get decent fonts in the game, you'll have to put arial.ttf in the game's folder (on macs you can find it in /Library/Fonts, on Windows it should be in C:\Windows\Fonts, linux-users can either download a replacement from FreeFonts/OpenFonts, or get some solution involving Microsoft Core Fonts.)
Last edited by somaen on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Very nice news :)

As for a replacement to Arial, you might want to have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial#Free_alternatives

FreeSans looks quite good. All of the three alternatives in the wikipedia page (FreeSans, Liberation Sans and Nimbus Sans) are distributed under GPL.
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Thank you somaen for the great job on the Wintermute engine ! That must have been a lot of work to implement the whole thing by yourself! :)

So I've made a quick test of Chivalry and I have a few notes.

1) the game seems to be unknown to the detector :
{"data.dcp", 0, "ae6d91b9517f4d2851a8ad94c96951c8", 7278302},
This may be normal as it is not a commercial game. Or not. You tell me!

2) I have added the Arial font file, but ScummVM still throws a warning about a missing ALEAWB__.TTF

3) there is a z-order bug when the main character moves in front of the guard. I've filed a bug report for it.

4) after saving the game, the menu quickly appears and disappears again.

5) when you change the volume in the in-game menu, the current value is often not updated as you click.

I did a quick play-through in which I killed everybody lol. So much for chivalry ! :wink:
Other than that, no issue at all !

I will try to do more testing of the game when I have the time.
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Oups I forgot to tell you about some sound problems... See the bug tracker for that one ! Thanks
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I played through the game in several combinations and I couldn't find any issues except for some sound popping when a track looped (apparently the same issue as this bug entry on the tracker).

On a side note, I also played through Pigeons in the Park (by the same author as Chivalry Is NOT Dead) and didn't find any issues at all (the sound popping doesn't happen there). I also played the other Wintermute game by the same author, "Des Rêves Élastiques Avec Mille Insectes Nommés Georges", and found no problems except for the sound popping problem from Chivalry Is NOT Dead.

I also played through Rosemary and Dirty Split and didn't find any issues (except, of course for the slow videos). Really nice work on the engine so far. :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

misterhands: Detection should be fixed now (or atleast in the next nightly), I don't know what happened there, the download I had lying around had a tad different md5, as well as ALEAWB__.TTF included, I'll have a look to see if I got that copy somewhere else, or if the game has been updated at some point between this summer and now.

As for ALEAWB__.TTF, if you remove Arial.ttf from your game folder, you should be able to see how the fallback-font looks, this is used for text that uses fonts the engine can't find. If you encounter any such text in the game while having Arial.ttf in place, do tell me, and I'll see if I can find the download that DID include the font.

As for the Z-order issue, could you test this in a 32-bit build? (I'm following this on the bug tracker)

Feel free to report 4 and 5 to the Bug Tracker too.

JenniBee: I know you said this a few months back, have you tested those with the latest nightly? (I recently enabled dirty rects-rendering in the engine, which might show new issues not earlier visible).
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Issues 4 and 5 reported, plus a bonus one about savegame thumbnails.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

somaen wrote:JenniBee: I know you said this a few months back, have you tested those with the latest nightly? (I recently enabled dirty rects-rendering in the engine, which might show new issues not earlier visible).
I played the three games by Deirdra Kiai on the same day I wrote that post. However, you're right to think I haven't played Rosemary and Dirty Split through lately. I'll play through them today and let you know how it goes. :)

I played through Rosemary, and everything seemed OK, except for a bug where Rosemary's dress would sometimes be drawn incorrectly. I filed a bug report and included a screenshot showing the problem.

I played through Dirty Split now too. It has the popping sound problem (especially noticable in the dialog between George Ocean and his wife). The only other problem I found is that one line of dialog comes out of the wrong character's mouth at the end of the game. I filed a bug report for the latter problem.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

The Z-order bug was fixed, same with the detection-issue.

I would also love to hear how slow a computer these games can run decently on at this point, so if possible, post the specs of the computer you played on here, and note if it was slow at any point.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I ran Chivalry Is NOT Dead on ScummVM on an 8 year old Compaq Presario SR1000 with an AMD Athlon XP processor at 2.16 GHz running Windows XP and a cheap Asus with an AMD Athlon 64 processor at 1.8 GHz running Windows 7 and neither had any slowdown.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Is it not possible to run this on an 800x480 screen?

Cheers. :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

800x480?

That would require a downscale atleast. Out of curiosity, what equipment do you want to try on?
samlii

Post by samlii »

Sounds like an Android phone.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

somaen wrote:800x480?

That would require a downscale atleast. Out of curiosity, what equipment do you want to try on?
An N800 tablet.

I'm not sure if it would even have enough power to run this though since Backyard Baseball was completely unplayable on it.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The maemo port is almost straight SDL so no downscaling AFAIK.
(3/4 of the supported model families don't support OpenGL, basically none but the N900).

I am more concerned about the 400 MHz single core ARM.
Backyard baseball is playable on my N810 but really sucks without a mouse for batting. This makes me think your N800 is slower than my N810 which makes me even more concerned about running any hi res game on it.