Monkey Island 1 "perfect" CD audo sync?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

Monkey Island 1 "perfect" CD audo sync?

Post by Muyfa666 »

This is not another "no sound" in MI1 thread. I know how to rip audio tracks.

No, my point is this; if you play the floppy enhanced version and then the CD version you will notice that due to CD ripping techniques, the audio in the CD version will not be synched the same way as the floppy version. The CD version will most commonly have a 2-ish second delay on every track.

Is there any easy way to fix this, as I rather not sit and edit all the tracks?
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I'm not sure if this is what your problem is, but most audio programs allow the option of a two-second delay between tracks when BURNING a CD, but not that I've seen when ripping. When you play straight from the CD, is there still a 2-second delay? And is it the original CD, or did you make a back-up copy?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island 1 "perfect" CD audo sync?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Muyfa666 wrote: No, my point is this; if you play the floppy enhanced version and then the CD version you will notice that due to CD ripping techniques, the audio in the CD version will not be synched the same way as the floppy version. The CD version will most commonly have a 2-ish second delay on every track.
I'm not sure I understand... Do you mean there's 2-ish seconds of silence at the beginning of each track? I don't see that on mine. Not counting the sound effects tracks, most tracks have about 0.1 seconds of silence at the beginning. The notable exception is the intro music (track 14), which has about 1.1 seconds of silence.

The intro music is the only one I remember as being timing sensitive (though I haven't played this version of the game in a long time), and annoyingly it's actually two pieces of music merged into one: The Monkey Island theme, and the music that's played when talking to the lookout.

From what I understand/remember, it uses the current position of the CD track to time the things that happen in the intro, so the length of the track matters.

When it plays a CD track, it uses four parameters: track number, number of times to play the track, start position in the track, and end position in the track. I don't remember it using the end position parameter anywhere in Monkey Island (Loom uses it all he time, of course, since everything is just one big track there), and the only case I remember where it uses the start position is for the lookout music.

Which means that any manipulation of the intro music track will still require the lookout music to start at the same position that it does now, or you will get a noticeable glitch when that scene starts. (Or perhaps I should say more noticeable. I can just barely hear the intro music fade out as the lookout music begins.)
Muyfa666

Re: Monkey Island 1 "perfect" CD audo sync?

Post by Muyfa666 »

I remember editing the intro song silence with mixed results some years ago. I had to add the silence that I removed from the start to the intermission between the two songs to make the lookout song come on at the right time... maybe I remeber it wrong, maybe it was just the intro song that was cumbersome...
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

The thing is, there is no "right" time because CD rom drives had different speeds and access times.

I remember my very first CD-Rom drive, the Mitsumi single speed drive that you had to pull out and open a lid, was the fastest drive for changing tracks. Later drives took a lot longer.

The speed of the CPU can also affect certain games.
balpat

Post by balpat »

Haha, the good old Mitsumi! Was my first CD-ROM, too.
nilsbyte

Post by nilsbyte »

i think the problem is because of the pregap every audio CD has before a track.
raina

Post by raina »

nilsbyte wrote:i think the problem is because of the pregap every audio CD has before a track.
Making a gapless copy, or one with custom length pregaps, is far from impossible. And isn't the pregap supposed to be taken into account only when track change occurs naturally from track to track, not when skipping to a track directly?