ScummVM and Nintendo DS? I say a match made in heaven!!!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Do you think there should be a DS touch-screen version of ScummVM

Yes
55%
No
9%
Dont give a flying fark
36%

Total votes: 11

tindoggy

ScummVM and Nintendo DS? I say a match made in heaven!!!

Post by tindoggy »

Is there any chance of a release of scumm vm on the nintendo DS. Surely with the stylas replacing the old point n' click cursor drag of these classic yet dated games, the match up would be grand. Why use a cursor when you can use your finger. The top screen could even serve as the menu where the text is held and the action buttons, the D-pad could be used to select text and objects. So how long do you think it will take?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

actually there is an unofficial port for DS, a google search should help you find it, also there has been official ports for palmOS, pocketpc, and windows moble that use the stylus for quite some time. you will need additional hardware to run the ds version of scummvm, but as of yet this port is unofficial and unsupported by this forum. Google will help you find the right venue to ask for help.
clem

Post by clem »

why exactly isn't that DS port "official" anyways? can't be more legally problematic like the PS2 or PSP versions imo
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

clem wrote:why exactly isn't that DS port "official" anyways?
I think it's because you have to put all the game files into a zip-folder to get it working on the Nintendo DS. And the FAQ says, the ScummVM-team doesn't want to add a support for zipfiles. Read this. And this also.
So there, the Nintendo DS port is unofficial because it stands out by using zipfiles.
But I don't know how I would get this working since I don't have a Nintendo DS. But maybe I think about buying me a PocketPC soon.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, that's not the reason. I'm already in contact with DS porter for a while. Zip containers aren't only technology which could be used there. Neil already working towards proper merging. Stay tuned and watch scummvm-devel mailing list.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM and Nintendo DS? I say a match made in heaven!!!

Post by sev »

tindoggy wrote:Is there any chance of a release of scumm vm on the nintendo DS.
Anyway, what were your intentions to create this poll? If we'd get 1000 votes for it what would change? Or are you going to work on the port? Then go help Neil. Maybe you want to contribute couple DSes for the Team members to speed up porting?

Eugene
clem

Post by clem »

/me starts a poll "should clem get a girlfriend?" then - I hope you all vote :-)
tindoggy

Post by tindoggy »

Ok, thanks for that guys, much appreciated. I can’t use it yet but the unofficial one sounds pretty nifty. I'm waiting to get a DS Lite so I will try it out then, I hope It works. Plus zip would make it easier...
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

tindoggy wrote:Ok, thanks for that guys, much appreciated. I can’t use it yet but the unofficial one sounds pretty nifty. I'm waiting to get a DS Lite so I will try it out then, I hope It works. Plus zip would make it easier...
How would zip files make it easier? You still have to copy the original files off the CD's and then an additional step of zipping them....
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

clem wrote:/me starts a poll "should clem get a girlfriend?" then - I hope you all vote :-)
And what would it help if we said "Yes" ? :wink: :wink:

We're all guys, remember? :wink: :wink:
clem

Post by clem »

joachimeberhard wrote:And what would it help if we said "Yes" ? :wink: :wink:
exactly my point :-)
but maybe you got a younger sister or something, heh
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

One main important thing which some folks fail to understand is that zip there used as a container. I.e. the port doesn't support zips with compression, only uncompressed ones.

Eugene