should we worry?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jade

should we worry?

Post by Jade »

now that disney owns lucasarts, what if they shutdown scummvm? *is genuinely scared*
clone2727
Retired

Re: should we worry?

Post by clone2727 »

Jade wrote:now that disney owns lucasarts, what if they shutdown scummvm? *is genuinely scared*
And you'd be the only one. Since the iMuse patent expired, there isn't anything they could come after us for.
Jade

Post by Jade »

ok that's good lol thanks
dag

Post by dag »

For us adventure gamers I don't think the takeover means we will see any new Lucasarts-style adventures (though it is my wetest dream), but what could they possibly do to hurt their franchises more than they allready have been?
Sofox

Post by Sofox »

Firstly LucasArts took an unusually strong opposition against ScummVM, so there's not as much chance of another company doing the same thing..

Also, few people seem to know that Disney is actually fairly pro-open source, with various projects they've open sourced, including of course the Panda3D game engine.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Sofox wrote:Firstly LucasArts took an unusually strong opposition against ScummVM, so there's not as much chance of another company doing the same thing.
I wouldn't call it unusually strong. For example just look at Blizzard which sent FreeCraft a C&D back in the days.