Tony Tough, a New Supported Game

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Tony Tough, a New Supported Game

Post by sev »

The ScummVM team, in close collaboration with Nayma soft (the legal rights owner) and DotEmu, is happy to announce support for Tony Tough in our development branch. The title is available for purchase from DotEmu.

However, the game was tested only on Windows and Linux, so we would like to announce our usual testing period. Please grab the game from your attic or purchase it from DotEmu, test it with a daily build and submit your bug reports to our bug tracker.

We would also like to take this opportunity to announce the affiliation program with DotEmu: By buying games through this link or by using the banner on the right side of the page, you will be supporting ScummVM.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Great news to add yet another title! I own the CD from years back but do not have a lot of time at the moment but will play test for the next release.
dag

Post by dag »

A really good adventure game. Beautiful handdrawn graphics, good puzzles and great voice acting (though I personally find the voice of Tony himself to be somehwat annoying, but then again, I think he is SUPPOSED to be annoying). A must play for fans of Lucas Arts-style adventures.
roglon

Post by roglon »

Thank you very much for adding support for Tony Tough. An early feedback on platforms: On Wii -not surprisingly- the game is throwing exception upon start. But on Linux it is running very fine so far :D (with slightly adjusted detection table for German version).
woodoste

Post by woodoste »

I still own the original CD-ROM so which are the files required to run it on ScummVM?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

woodoste wrote:I still own the original CD-ROM so which are the files required to run it on ScummVM?
With the English version that I have, I copied the Music, Roasted and Voices folders, along with data1.cab file. I then removed mpal.dll and TonyTough.exe files from my copy of Roasted, since I figured that these are the files that ScummVM provides a replacement for.

I'm not sure if the Layers sub-folder (in Music) is actually used but I kept it to err on the side of caution. I've only played part of the game, but it seems to work.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

where is the "tony.dat" ? (ios port , newest daily build, is asking)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MajinChibi wrote:where is the "tony.dat" ? (ios port , newest daily build, is asking)
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... t?raw=true
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

Thanks!

Now i get a

"Could not initialize color format."

And after that a color messed up screen.
(german cd version)

(1.6.0git2050-g9d7b55e )
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

MajinChibi wrote:Thanks!

Now i get a

(german cd version)

(1.6.0git2050-g9d7b55e )
Tony Tough uses a color format not supported by the iOS backend. Thus it will not work in its current state. The same should apply for Android.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

[Edit: Of course, while I was writing this LordHoto posted a much shorter reply. Because that's the way the universe works. :)]
MajinChibi wrote: Now i get a

(german cd version)

(1.6.0git2050-g9d7b55e )
I don't know much about the iOS port so I could be wrong, but I get the impression that it simply doesn't support the colour format used by the Tony Tough engine.

To elaborate a bit, the game uses 16 bits per pixel. As you probably know, one way of representing colours on a computer is to break them down into a red, a green and a blue colour component. 8 bit graphics usually means you have a 256-colour palette, and you use the 8 bits to represent each possible entry in this palette. With 16 bits, you generally don't need a palette since you can do quite well by storing the colour components directly into these 16 bits.

But there are at least two different common ways of storing colours in 16 bits. You can use five bits (32 different levels) for each colour, and use the remaining bit for something else (or just ignore it), or you can use five bits each for two of the colours and six bits (64 different levels) for the third (usually the green one). These two modes are sometimes referred to as 555 and 565.

I think the iOS port currently only supports 565, while Tony Tough uses 555.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

ah thank you for that interesting explanation :)
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

My CD has a voices.vdx file that appears to have a size of 953 Mo and that I can't copy (takes forever). It looks like one of those dummy files used for copy protection and ScummVM does not seem to need it. Can someone confirm this ?

Thanks!
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

This is a completely useless file used by the French version as a protection. Don't copy it, that's pretty all.
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Thanks Strangerke ! That's what I suspected.

BTW there is no entry for Tony in the datafiles page.