Thanks to all Devs for SCI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

fuzzie wrote:Are you all using our *official* builds (i.e. from buildbot)?

Edit: Kirben's builds should be fixed now.
Yeah, since i'm not a developer i don't know how to make my own build.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

The daily builds work great now - thanks!
bunklung

Post by bunklung »

Thanks bluegr! You rock! I can't wait for QFG4!

Donated.
md5 wrote:Thanks! A simple thank you is the best reward for us :)

As for motivation: most of us work on ScummVM to satisfy an itch, to satisfy their own curiosity and to see the work they made turn into a playable game. We're doing this for fun, for our own enjoyment and because we like it :)

As for your question, yes, the ultimate goal would be to have all SCI games playable. It's a long term goal, but we're working towards it.

Thanks for your kind words once more! :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, there is progress going on behind the scenes: a lot of parts of the original SCI executables have been identified, so hopefully we will soon be able to make the SCI32 part of the engine match much more closely what the original interpreter is doing, thus there will hopefully be much more progress.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their encouragement, we're doing our best :)
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Every kind of progress at the SCI engine makes me happy. 8)
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Thanks a lot for your awesome effort :)
cy.ril.le

Post by cy.ril.le »

Hello guys. I've been using ScummVM for a while but I've registered to this forum just to say thanks for the work you're doing on SCI32.

I've been waiting for ages to re-play Gabriel Knight 2, Phantasmagoria 1-2 and Shivers on any recent platform. From what I've tested today, Shivers seems playable -- at least the first screens.

You're doing wonders, literally. You're my heroes.

(If I knew C++ I'd be glad to help, but I'm "only" proficient in C and Objective-C).
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

(If I knew C++ I'd be glad to help, but I'm "only" proficient in C and Objective-C).
IIRC, ScummVM doesn't use advanced C++ features like templates for portability reasons. I haven't read the source in a while, but I think that it close to C + classes... with maybe some polymorphism sprinkled on top?

Anyway, if you're good at C and ObjC (which means you're familiar with the OO paradigm), you should get up to speed quickly.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

zorbid wrote:IIRC, ScummVM doesn't use advanced C++ features like templates for portability reasons.
We do use templates.
maximus

Post by maximus »

GOG has a bunch of Activision content on sale this weekend :)

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/activision_ ... 477c95c23d

The link above uses ScummVM's partner code, so I'm assuming they'll get a cut if you buy anything after following this link.

Seems like another nice way of saying thanks to all the devs for the great work they've done :)
Teremei

Post by Teremei »

I also want to send a HUGE HUGE thanks. I'm guessing SCI refers the the newer Sierra games? All I can say is you can't say how excited I am being able to play Leisure Suit Larry 6 Shape up or slip out on my nexus 7 while I am at work. And the talking CD-rom version too! It was my favorite point and click of all time. I had played it dozens of times when I was younger. I just love it!

Do you think Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Space Quest 6 will be added at any point in the future? That would be super amazing and I'd be in heaven if that were ever the case.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Teremei wrote:I also want to send a HUGE HUGE thanks. I'm guessing SCI refers the the newer Sierra games? All I can say is you can't say how excited I am being able to play Leisure Suit Larry 6 Shape up or slip out on my nexus 7 while I am at work. And the talking CD-rom version too! It was my favorite point and click of all time. I had played it dozens of times when I was younger. I just love it!

Do you think Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Space Quest 6 will be added at any point in the future? That would be super amazing and I'd be in heaven if that were ever the case.
You're welcome! :) No, SCI is a general term describing Sierra's Creative Interpreter, the engine behind almost all of Sierra's adventure games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra%27s ... nterpreter

This engine was updated several times, and it has been rewritten when Gabriel Knight 1 was released. The older versions are referred as "SCI0 - SCI1.1" (16-bit SCI) and the newer versions are referred as "SCI2, SCI2.1 and SCI3" (32-bit SCI). ScummVM supports all of the 16-bit SCI games, and there is work in progress being done for the 32-bit ones. Check the wikipedia page, and our wiki:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Sierr ... #SCI_Games
Teremei

Post by Teremei »

Thank you, I will check out those resources. It's just so amazing that finally thanks to the work from guys like you, and over at gog we can finally play these amazing games again. They were kind of stuck in limbo for awhile where current operating systems couldn't play them and there were no emulation software made available to do so. I'm happy to see they are alive and well again with more to come.
KrisTheRock

OMG Thanks so much!!!

Post by KrisTheRock »

This isn't just a thanks for the SCI branch of coding but rather for the whole scummvm project. I didn't want to start a whole new thread though.

I just discovered scummvm this weekend by googling "point and click adventure games android", hoping that the google playstore had some good ones. I had just finished broken sword for android. I didn't find it so great but it gave me a huge itch to play these types of games. As a 10 years old kid, I played KQ7, Full Throttle, DOTT, Torin's Passage and Gabriel Knight 2. There are no words to explain how grateful I am for all your work. I played Full Throttle on my Nexus 7 on the commute to work this morning. You guys already made my year. So thank you SOOOOOO much and keep up the good work!!
epmode

Post by epmode »

I don't post very often at all but I just wanted to say that I very much appreciate any work on the later SCI games. I'm really looking forward to replaying Quest for Glory 4!

edit: Oh hay, this is actually my first post.

<3 SCUMMVM devs <3